Shipping chicks/ducks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by protodon, Oct 28, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Does anyone know how long chicks or in my case ducks can live in their shipping container after they've been shipped? My shipment of ducklings was sent from Mcmurray sometime this monday and my PO called me this morning(wednesday) that they arrived already and since I am at work my worry is that they won't last til the afternoon? Perhaps I am being paranoid, I never ordered live animals before.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    They should be fine. Bring water with you if you live far from the post office because they will be thirsty...

When you get them home besure and put in your brooder and get them food and water and read some tips on raising ducks over in the otther poultry section.

We've had geese that were sent to us years ago and they were good for 3 days....

Have a blessed one and hope this helped you.

3. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Thanks a lot for the info! I've hatched and raised ducks but never had them shipped. I figured they'd be weaker from the journey so I wasn't sure what to expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by