Shipping chicks in the heat?

MonicainAZ

Chirping
May 21, 2015
206
23
81
Phoenix, AZ
I'm working on starting my very first flock, and considering where I will get my chickens. Ordering from a hatchery in the mail seems to be a popular option, and one I'm considering. However, I live in Phoenix. We've had unseasonably cool weather so far this year, highs in the 80's this late in the year is unheard of! But, I know it won't last, and I also know I won't have my plan together for a few more weeks, by which time it will likely be 100+, not to mention if it takes some time to get my order prepared at the hatchery. Should I be concerned about shipping chicks under these conditions? Would it be better to get them locally and/or wait until fall? Any experiences with getting chickens shipped in the heat?
 

AHenNamedPepper

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
37
7
26
Sharon sc
I don't live in that kinda heat but just IMO I would buy locally if you are just looking for layers and pets. If you are looking for breeder stock I would wait until fall. The Hatcheries usually give you a 24- 48 hour guarantee so if you do have any DOA you can claim your losses, just make sure that you open it in front of your mail person so they can verify! Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out!!! Best of luck to you and your new flock!!!
thumbsup.gif
 

MonicainAZ

Chirping
May 21, 2015
206
23
81
Phoenix, AZ
I don't live in that kinda heat but just IMO I would buy locally if you are just looking for layers and pets. If you are looking for breeder stock I would wait until fall. The Hatcheries usually give you a 24- 48 hour guarantee so if you do have any DOA you can claim your losses, just make sure that you open it in front of your mail person so they can verify! Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out!!! Best of luck to you and your new flock!!!
thumbsup.gif
Thanks! I probably should have clarified that I'm only looking for eggs and pets, not for breeding. The biggest attraction for me at this point with a hatchery is that I seem to want one of everything! LOL. But then I have to remember that not all of them will likely make it anyway as that's just the nature of the beast, so that plan will have some hiccups. I may also buy some local started pullets, since it will reduce my chances of ending up with an accidental rooster, which I can't have where I live, and I can just put them right into the coop most likely. Decisions, decisions....
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom