1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping Chicks- please read!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jebrab, May 24, 2008.

1. jebrab

jebrab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Southeastern Indiana
    Hello all,

Many of you know I have had a very bad experienced with shipped chicks from a hatchery. After being told my chicks shipped Monday, then Tuesday, they finally showed up on Friday with most not surviving. The post office suggested I put a post in here to suggest we- the ones who have the chicks shipped- ask for express shipping for the chicks. The PO said although priority mail is supposed to be 2-3 days- there is no guarentee like with the expressed shipping. Yes it cost more, but my chicks were expensive too and now the hatchery says I cannot be put back on the reship list because they had too bad of a time sending them to me- like it was my fault!!

I am asking that you consider this when having your chicks shipped-even if it is not from a hatchery and you are getting them from an individual from here or elsewhere. I have watched 5 more chicks die since I picked them up yesterday-not pretty.

I was not aware that priority was not a good way to ship chicks-but I was not given any other option either. I only live about 100 miles (one state over) from the hatchery and it took 5 days to get my chicks.

I think the biggest problem I see in this is that my PO is so mad, they are filing a complaint with the animal rights people. If they get involved, then we may not be able to get shipped chicks at all.

Just food for thought!

Thanks,

Jane

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Sorry to here about this, but I agree. You may as well pay for next day shipping and get them alive rather thatn them coming in 5 days later as you recieved yours. Sorry [​IMG]

3. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Sorry to hear a/b your experience. I wonder if UPS or FedEx ships live animals?? I believe they have a better track record than the old P.O. with getting things where they are supposed to go in a timely manner. I know even with Express Mail thru the USPS, I have had several things delayed (including a pair of expensive adult peacocks). Do you have it set up that they are to call you as soon as they get to the "main" post office? That is what we do here, since we live sort of out of the way. The birds arrive at the "hub" about 1/2 an hour away and we go pick them up. The people there are experienced enough to know to hold them and call us (it also says this on the shipping label), but with the explosion of chick sales this year, there may be some postal employees who don't know the drill. Anyway, sorry again for your bad experience. Good luck in the future.

Leah

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm sorry about your chicks. I have to say though that I think it's disgusting that the PO took 5 days to ship anything 100 miles. What's the point of paying for priority? As for over night or express I've also had bad luck with that taking longer than it should.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have required all of my chick shipments this year go Express. Please don't be mislead though, Express is not "next day" anymore and rarely ever gets there next day. Every Express package I sent this year took 2 days minimum and in some cases 3 days, but all birds did arrive alive and well. The 3 days really worries me and I don't understand why they are taking so long for an expedited service. I sent eggs (Priority) and birds (Express) to the same address once..the eggs arrived a full day before the birds.

And the Express tracking is not much better than the delivery confirmation either. In most cases, I cannot see where my birds are for 2 full days. Very frustrating. You would think the PO would care a little more about tracking live animals better. They definitely need improvements to their tracking system. I do want to say that they are very helpful in providing the refunds for late arrivals though and that is a benefit to recover the costs for your customers when they don't meet the guarantee.

Jody

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Totally agree with you there! Those chicks cannot make it past a two day delivery well at all. I got mine in two days and they all seems perky and well. Luckily I won't need to get shipped chicks anymore. I found people here who hatch out and I got my own incubator now too [​IMG] Can use my owe eggs [​IMG]

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Jane,

Why is your post office filing a complaint. It is the fault of the USPS that the chicks did not arrive in time.

Your chicks should have arrived in one day with that distance in mind.

I would think that they would get fired for filing a complaint as they are complaining about their own employer and the lack of intelligence of fellow employees......

And, UPS and Fed Ex will not ship live animals.

I do agree with Jody, that they should have some better type of tracking system. Everytime the package leaves a city or "checkpoint' it should be scanned.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    pips&peeps :

Jane,

Why is your post office filing a complaint. It is the fault of the USPS that the chicks did not arrive in time.

Your chicks should have arrived in one day with that distance in mind.

I would think that they would get fired for filing a complaint as they are complaining about their own employer and the lack of intelligence of fellow employees......

My thoughts exactly... what a bunch of dipsh*ts... [​IMG]

9. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I got my snakes through UPS. They knew is was a snake. It said right on the side of the box. LIVE ANIMAL!!!!! And he (my snake) was fine. [​IMG]

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'm so sorry about your chicks. I've only ordered eggs so far. My rural mail carrier called me and asked if she needed to bring them to me right away and it didn't even say to call on the box. She was worried about them. She knows I may order chicks someday and I told her I would come pick them up rather than having her deliver them out here. I think it just depends on the post office workers. I can't believe they are filing a complaint about their own slow delivery that ended in death for the chicks. I sure hope they don't stop delivering chicks completly one day.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by