1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping Chicks?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickens112, Dec 18, 2008.

1. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    Does anyone know how to ship chicks? What is the most cheap and fastest way to do it? I have never done it before. Is it like shipping a regular package? Also where would you turn them in to be shipped. Thanks

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    You would need a chick shipping box, then you would have to take them to the biggest post office in your area (its faster) and ship them express.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

With the weather a lot of the country has been having I'd be scared to ship or try and recieve any chicks right now.

4. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    I agree. I don't think the PO like to ship lives in below 40 degree weather. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  5. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    The USPS will tell you if they can ship from point A to point B if you know the city and zip code. Must be in a bio-hazard chicken box with appropriate information. You can order boxes online or by phone. Google "Pet Port". Always ship EXPRESS USPS and get 1 to 3 day delivery. Use soft hay in the bottom and place a peeled apple in the box when you ship. The apple with give them food and moisture for several days if they are stranded or lost. Shipping on the USA mainland is easy but shipping to other countries requires many regulations. Cost on the mainland usually runs around 38.00 dollars according to weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by