shipping chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cmfarm, Jan 14, 2012.

1. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have just started a small backyard hatchery selling black sex-links. I have lots of orders; most are local pickup but some want them shipped. I live in Central Texas and all the orders will be shipped within Texas. My question is, for those that have shipped a larger number of chicks, how much (with a shipping box) weigh for 25 and 50 chicks. Or this might be easyier to understand, how much does a chick weigh (dual purpose, Barred Rock x with Production Red) and how much does a box typicaly weigh. I was thinking of maybe doing a flat rate since all the shipments are within Texas, but don't want to end up losing money on it. Any help would be much apreciated!

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If you have chicks, a box and a scale, it should be a pretty easy science experiment [​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You can't go "flat rate" on live chicks. You must have the special box designed to ship live birds.

If you've got a kitchen scale, you can weigh the box with chicks and then go to the post office web site and figure out what the postage will be.

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I didn't meen a flat rate box, but a flat rate for the shipping charges. I have peolple that would like to know how much shipping is now, and I don't have the boxes or the chicks yet. I figured someone that has shipped chicks before would know the answer. I have searched online but can't find the answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by