Shipping Crate Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Enjaytoo, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    ..Just got a big, wooden shipping crate...Its about 44X46X26...no lid, so I'll have to check out HD's cull section..Wondering if anyone else has pictures of how they made theirs into a small coop? I plan to put it inside the chain link dog run....

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You've got chickens in Ahwatukee???? I remember when it was just a dust speck on the map, lol. Same as Gilbert and all in that direction.

Somebody on here just built one. Check out the contest there it may be on there

3. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    I know, crazy right?.....shhhhhhh....don't tell, hehehe [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Well if I go pick up a crate, then I will need more chickens to fill it!

(And I used to walk to Pioneer Elementary on Baseline & Greenfield...my goose would follow me and sit under my desk in a box)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I found that converting a shipping crate to a coop was expensive and just not worth it unless you only have 2-4 chickens. I found that most shipping crates are made with laminated wood and have TONS of nails and staples sticking in them. The ones I found were not the sturdiest of boxes, requiring quite a bit of reinforcement. You will also need a few small holes covered with screen for ventilation. But be sure they are somewhere that rain cannot enter, like on the sides. I also spent a lot on paint since the wood just soaked it up like water.

I put the roost on the hinged door side, food opposite the roost on the non-hinged side...easier to service the feeders that way. Since space is extremely limited inside I would suggest a PVC feeder that hangs from the outside of the crate (lots of plans here on the forum for PVC feeders) and use a rabbit bottle for water...less slopping of water to make the bedding wet.

I put shavings at the bottom of the crate and when I locked the girls in for the night I put a couple of sheets of newspaper under the roost. Then in the morning I would just remove the newspaper to the compost pile and the bedding lasts longer that way.

I would mount the nest box on the outside as well.

7. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    OMG, thats the cutest coop...(I even like the color, although my plans were to do barn-red to match my little ones' playhouse...we shall see..)

Laree, I understand completely, thats what I am afraid of myself [​IMG] But I can't have to many...at least thats what I say now lol..

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:I didn't have a goose but I did have a dog. He sat under my desk from kindergarten up until the 6th. They wouldn't let him on the bus to middle school.

9. gardenergirl

gardenergirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Chicagoland
    Hey, thanks! That's my coop. I think your crate will make a wonderful coop too.

10. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    My pleasure; that is a great coop you made! I'm a little nervous, I dont think it will be as cute as yours but I think we will attempt something with it....Neither BF nor I are very handy with the power tools but heh, it will be fun to try at least I think...I have shingles, tar paper and paint left over from the Playhouse, so I'm hoping to keep it "cheep" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by