1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    So, I just couldn't resist. I saw a 5'x5'x9' crate for free on craigslist and my first thought was how perfect it would be for a chicken coop! Has anyone else done something similar? What is the best way to turn it into what I want? The door is on the 9' side, so it stands up tall- maybe like a high-rise kind of design? Any suggestions would be welcome. ....or do I need to take pictures?

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I would ask them what the wood has been treated for first. Some overseas shipping crates are treated chemically and some are treated with heat just like shipping pallets are. The heat treated ones should be stamped HT and those are okay to use. Some of the chemically treated ones can be treated with pesticides that are very dangerous to pets and people and certainly eggs that you eat etc. They should also have some type of stamp indicating if they were treated with chemicals..

As long as the wood is okay, shipping crates are great to use and easy because you only have to make a few adjustments like adding doors and windows etc.

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Is it going to be 9ft tall or 9ft long. If 9ft long you can just frame up like 18" along one 9ft side to make roof slope with the open side up , also make a frame out of treated 4x4 toget it 2ft off of ground. I would also paint it inside & out incase it is treated with something, plus to preserve it. you also could put it on 4x4 treated skids instead of rasing it up two ft, that way you could move it if need be.
    P.S nice score you are so lucky. [​IMG]:ya:ya:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by