Shipping Day Old Chicks - Bantams and Standards together???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Clucktagious, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Clucktagious

Clucktagious New Egg

Mar 14, 2011
    Waverly, Ohio
    Hello. (This is my first post, so hope it is in the right forum!)

I have placed an order for day old chicks - some bantams along with some standard-sized. The hatchery did not make mention of issues when I placed my order, but after I hung up, I started worrying that the bantams might get trampled by the other birds. Here's my order: standards (total of 23) -- 3 buff orpingtons, 6 speckled sussex, 2 cuckoo maran, 3 buff rock, 2 partridge rock, 2 black australorp, 2 blue andalusian, and 2 silver spangled hamburgs, plus a "mystery bird" AND bantams (total of 9) -- 5 Mille Fleurs and 4 partridge cochins. I don't want to open the box and find squished babies. Any suggestions?

(Also, I have had a wonderful time with a mixture of about a dozen hens including buff orp, gold and silver-laced wyandottes, and speckled sussex that I got as day old chicks 2 years ago, but if any of you that know more about chickens and breeds has comments on my mix for my order, I would appreciate your opinion. I've tried to do my homework and think I'm okay, but am definitely still in the learning stage.)

Thanks!!!

2. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I think they should be OK being shipped together. Hatcheries sell chicks all the time, and I hope they would've told you if there was any issue with ordering them! I just had 5 Naked Necks and 4 Turkeys shipped together, and had no problem.

Make sure you post pictures after they arrive!!!

3. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    [​IMG] Welcome to your new addiction! Once your on here, you will be hooked!Great to have you! Im sure your chicks will be just fine.

4. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I've ordered mixed LF & bantam from MM, and we had 2 runty bantams pass away 2 days after they arrived possibly due to being crushed, but they were so runty there was little chance for them anyways. The other bantam chicks (including tiny D'Uccle bantams!) were 100% healthy and actually loved cuddling against their much larger Wyandotte fuzzy-butt friends.

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by