shipping egg affects??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joe17, May 23, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I just got 24 eggs from Bobbi Porto. Only 2 had detached air sacs but they reattached today. Soo........ what other affects does shipping have on eggs besides messing up there air sacs?? So since none of the eggs I got shipped in have detached air sacs, does that mean that they are just as viable as my own fertile eggs? Just curious. And one more question. Do I need to help out chicks with vaulted skulls?? I heard since there heads are so fragile that they cant hatch out by themselves. Thanks!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Shipping can do a lot to the egg that has affects even when hatching it seems. Some chicks seem weaker, some fine..... it is all luck of the draw. Since she is in Fl, south of me the distance traveled to you was not bad so you have a better chance of a good hatch. I try to always buy close to me if possible.

As far as helping out silkies, they hatch fine on their own, vaulted or less vaulted.... no help needed. I just had a bunch hatch out the last few days from my own stock.... popping out like popcorn, LOL.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Thanks! THat good to know. I sure hope I have atleast one chick hatch. My brinsea will take care of them during incubation though so if its viable, it will hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by