Shipping egg help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazychicken, Jan 16, 2009.

1. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I want to buy some eggs to Hatch but my last attempt was well a fiasco and disaster out of thirteen eggs one hatched and was crippled and deformed. and it died 2 days later after being hand carried to the water and food. so you can see why I would be wary of trying again. so any help would be appropriated. I would like step by step instructions that are simple and easy and would give me the best conditions of getting a good hatch. since we paid $40.00 for our last eggs and had disastrous results we have limited ourselves to spending no more than $20.00. so I was wanting to order these http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PLUS-6-WHITE-LEGHORN-CHICKEN-HATCHING-EGGS_W0QQitemZ120362705497QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Farm_Supplies?hash=item120362705497&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

do
    you think these are good, bad buy them I could really use some help please. thank you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I would also check craigslist and see if there is someone local that has eggs.

3. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
  4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This site is full of information; all you have to do is read. At the top of the page is Learning Center. You can start there. Then read the threads in this forum, Incubating & Hatching Eggs. You will find all the information you could possibly need to learn how to properly hatch eggs.

5. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I know how to hatch eggs just not shipped ones.

6. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

PM sent [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You don't hatch shipped eggs any differently than any other eggs. You should let them rest air cells up (small end down) for awhile before putting them in the incubator. Usually people leave them overnight and set the next morning. Other than that it's up to how they were shipped and whether the person sent good quality eggs. Unhealthy hens or poor storage of eggs before shipping can also lower hatch rates and lead to deformed chicks so the source of the eggs is important.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Some type of eggs do better in shipping, but most you will lose 50%. quail, pheasant,and guineas do well if pack right and are fresh. Chickens ok ,lot depend on how they are pack and shipped. Check feedback remember 50% hatch will be a good hatch on shipped eggs

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I would find someone either here, on Ebay or eggbid.com that has 18+ eggs to sell that are under $20 with another $10 or so for shipping. The more you have, the more you will likely be able to hatch.

Right now it's very cold for shipping eggs...if you could find some within driving distance it would be worth the trip.

Good luck!

10. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Keep us posted if you find some!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by