1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shipping eggs and Ebay feedback

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DuckyBoys, May 22, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hi everyone,

I need some advice from people more experienced at this whole shipped hatching eggs thing. This is the first time I've ordered eggs for hatching.

I bought 8 eggs off of Ebay. She sent 10 (very nice!). However 5 of them were broken.

My question - is this about average for number of broken eggs? She wrapped them each individually in a paper towel, put them in an egg carton, and packed it with peanuts. Is that an adequate packing job?

I have looked at her feedback and there is no mention of cracked or broken eggs - so maybe this is an unusual case. At any rate - I would like to know if it would be appropriate to contact her about the number of broken eggs or not? And what kind of feedback should I leave? Her shipping time and response were excellent.

Any help is appreciated. I don't want to leave someone any negative feedback unless it is actually warranted.

Thanks,

Julie

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Julie have you contacted her to let her know about the 5 broken eggs? The PO is rough on shipped eggs. I've had some wrapped like Fort Knox and still arrived broken.

3. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:No, I don't want to appear like I'm expecting her to replace them or anything. I'm just new at this and I wanted to get opinions from you guys before I bring it up. If this is pretty normal - I'm fine with that. I don't want to stir up anyone's pot if I'm way off base, ya know?

4. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Well, it sounds like they could have been packed better, but that's a matter of opinion. They could easily have arrived just fine packed that way, or they could have been crushed wrapped in bubble wrap. I agree with AussieSharon--contact her to let her know the eggs were broken (that's pretty standard). A lot of sellers will send along replacements if you'll pay the shipping. If she doesn't want to do that, then it's up to you if you want to leave a negative or neutral rating.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I would leave bad feedback and mention that the eggs were broken. The eggs should be individually bubble wraped, and lots of packing material used, like crumpled newspaper. The eggs shouldnt be wrapped with papertowels and stuck in an egg carton, of course they will arrive broken. I would say 1 or 2 broken is the average, but not 5. That is half of your shipment. I would contact her and tell her what happened.

6. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks guys. I'll shoot her an e-mail and see what happens. [​IMG]

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It is so hard to know. I have not had a report of cracked eggs in a long time. My post office is very careful with eggs but you never know what they will encounter in others places. I just received eggs packaged the way your mention except for the peanuts. My eggs were packed in newspaper. I have had them arrive here in good shape both ways. You will want to notify the shipped because I am sure she wants to know. I keep track of places where I have problems with broken eggs. California is the worst so far. Your shipper may not replace the eggs as we all make a disclosure about our ability to guarantee shipped eggs. She/ He should appreciate know how they arrived in case they want to modify the way the package. If my buyers has that many broken, I offer to replace them if the person will pay postage.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Did she mark the box "Fragile Eggs"?

9. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Yes, I'll definately let her know. Like I said - I'm really not expecting her to replace them and won't ask her to- but if she offers that would be nice. [​IMG]

My mail lady drove them up to the door of the house, rang the bell, and actually waited for someone to answer. No signature or tracking was required, so she went out of her way and I never called to tell them I was expecting eggs. So that was real nice! They called 30 minutes before opening this morning to let me know my ducklings were here as well - and I never even called to tell them they were on their way either! [​IMG]

But who knows what happened before they get to our little PO.

10. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Yes, she did. Three or four places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by