Shipping eggs arived but air cell damage , please help advise : (

Adama20

Chirping
5 Years
Hey guys , my two peafowl eggs look clear candled them again tonight and not a sign of anything and its been seven days. I have had five Indian blue peafowl eggs arrive today via post , all arrived intact but on candling four have a wavy air sack that waves as the egg is tilted and one has a actual air bubble in the egg.

Can I incubate them or is it a lost cause, I have read I need to put them in egg trays blunt end facing up and not turn them for 48 hours in the incubator then after just let them get tilted in the incubator.

Any advice please asap as want to set them as soon as I can

Many many thanks

Adam

I've heard that peafowl need to incubate on their sides, so that is what I have always done. I don't know if that is actually true or not, I THINK I have heard of people putting them in incubators that keep them more upright (don't Sportsman's keep them more upright?).

I have used three different types of incubators and have hatched setting the eggs horizontal and vertical. The GQF Sportsman has options for using a long metal tray that lets the eggs lay on their sides or you can use the plastic trays that hold the eggs upright. I prefer the vertical for two reasons, first you can put more eggs in the unit, but more importantly to me is that using the metal trays will only rock the eggs side to side with the same side up at all times, you really should flip them over at least once a day IMO. The plastic trays hold the air cell to the top and the rocking is pretty much complete from side to side.

So far, the vertical set eggs are hatching better for me, but nothing beats a broody hen.

Awww , well I hope they pull through. Its amazing what a little heat and a full belly can do to most young birds. Good luck with your little ones.

I am really excited about my eggs now. I had to do candling for a load of pekin eggs of my own hens last night so thought I would gently candle the peafowl eggs. Its still a little early being as they were only set on Friday night but thought id give it ago. I didn't move them much and candled them blunt end up as the air sacks are still very loose but the great news is three of the five are definatly developing as there is a small red embryo with a small network of veins coming off and in the other two its to hard to tell. So I am full of hope.

Last edited:
Hello RubyNala97 , the air sac was a brown colour and stained, usually its bright white and clean, When brown and off colour like this it usually means it is drying out which is a good sign to help a little. Also as I slowly removed the membrane and a little shell out the way I noticed the mucus membrane underneath the off colour membrane was totally none veined and a off brown colour too. There was not a single bit of blood present which meant all the veins had been absorbed before hand. Like I said though Peafowl are meant to take 28 days from what I have researched Moglie was in fact late and I am surprised but very glad he lived and hung in there. I wouldn't of helped had he not pipped first. I only helped after he pipped and it had been more then 24 hrs and he hadn't proceeded. He was making high pitched lost calls which meant he was distressed so I knew something wasn't right and helped then.

Hope that helps a little.

Adam

I hatched several peafowl eggs last year with saddle shaped and somewhat loose air cells. I left them upright for a day or two I think, then laid them on their sides. One ended up malpositioned at the end, and I wasn't home to save it, but the others were just fine. I had a good hatch rate on those shipments too. I was not successful with the ones with completely rolling air cells though, but none of that shipment showed ANY sign of development.

You may as well try them.

I have shipped Orloff and Ameraucana eggs in the incubator. They rested fat end up for 24 hours, then into the incubator big end up without turning for 3 days. My day 7 candeling looked good with many air cells back attached in place.

May as well give them a shot!

Last edited:
Hey Guys thank you , I set them in the incubator blunt end up in eggs boxes after a 24 hour rest period like this. They have been like this for three days and today I switched on the auto turn cradle to start turning the eggs. Hoping this coming weekend a quicl candling brings more hope.

Should I Leave them upright like this or lay them on there side now. Can peachicks develop properly when incubated blunt end up like this.

Adam

I've heard that peafowl need to incubate on their sides, so that is what I have always done. I don't know if that is actually true or not, I THINK I have heard of people putting them in incubators that keep them more upright (don't Sportsman's keep them more upright?).

Thank you Hannah , I am not sure about the sportsman, I am in the uk, don't think that's a incubator sold here but could be totally wrong, the incubator there in is a rcom king suro and there sitting in a egg box.

Might turn them on there sides for the rest of the incubation this weekend once I candle them to see if any develop and cross all my fingers and toes.

Adam

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom