Shipping Eggs, got a question, help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GotGame, Jul 24, 2010.

1. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I am getting my wife some serama eggs for her birthday, and I need them to be here by no later than wednsday. Has anyone ever done OVERNIGHT on eggs? Does them being flown hurt the eggs? I am mainly concerned about pressurizing from the plane....help???

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Wish I could help. Can only say that shipped Serama eggs may be more difficult to hatch. What area are you located? Maybe someone has some chicks for sale in your area.

3. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    All mail goes by air these days unless you are only a couple of cities away. I think some carriers still have ground (mostly for handling hazmat) but that is so slow and overnight is out of the question unless you live in the next city over.

4. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    hhmm

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  5. Hi! I've never shipped eggs overnight.
    I've usually had good luck with USPS Priority shipping and eggs shipped on Monday are delivered on Wed.
    You could have them held at your PO and pick them up first thing in the morning after the sorting is done.
    That's a sweet gift for your wife! Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    We are just concerned about the heat during shipping...otherwise priority would be fine...I am not sure how long it would take to get eggs from Central Kentucky to Oklahoma City area Oklahoma....

7. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    You want them by Weds? So they have to be overnighted.

The airmail won't hurt them as much as the "Rush, rush" of it all causing them to get tossed (literally) around. The tempature in cargo planes can get VERY hot too. (anyone every been in a C-130?)

All I can say is, if you NEED them by Weds... then you got to do it. Hatching shipped eggs is always a risk.

Good luck.

8. Hi! It is hot! I just sent 2 boxes of Serama eggs to TX (one on 7/12 and 7/16) and she reported that 100% are growing. Just ask that your seller marks the box PERISHABLE, PROTECT FROM HEAT, etc.
    That, and lots of bubblewrap for insulation, seems to help.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You might ask your seller to put in a little ice packets too, just to keep the temp less hot. I always thought they had to be room temp or dead, but not too long ago there was a post about incubating eggs that had been refrigerated with great success.

This time of year, with shipping, it is the heat issue, so why not put a little cold packing in?

Mrs.K

10. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    thanks for the tips, I believe I will suggest those things...the ice pack I was wonderin about myself....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by