Shipping eggs in heatwave

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dark4, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Dark4

Dark4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    ME NH border
    Hi I just ordered some white silkie eggs from ebay and now theirs a big heatwave on the east coast and they just shipped [​IMG] (they'll be moving right threw it) will they survive?[​IMG] they should be here Thursday.
    Might they have birth defects if they even hatch

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:only time will tell..I just delayed two sipments for another day because temps are in the high 90's here!!! When you get them -let them rest and pop them in bator-its the only way youll know if they made it-candle at day 7 youll have your answers...good luck with your silkies [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Good luck with it! They may have a hard time of it, and if it's hot enough in the shipping box they may start incubation in there [​IMG] So when you let them settle, don't let them get too cold. I had a batch pull this little stunt on me (they were pick up, so no handling damage, but the person was storing them in the really hot barn), lost every single one to letting them settle without realizing that the cooling would kill them. If she'd told me, I'd have put them right in the incubator, but I just didn't know [​IMG]

4. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    mine were shipped and got to hot. only 20 out of 42 eggs made it:( good luck hope this does not happen to you

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:you mean 20 hatched out of 42?? If thats the case then you had a good hatch rate for shipped eggs especially in this heat wave!---or were 22 bad on arrival:-( ??

6. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    no non i mean only 20 out of 42 started. the others stayed clear. got to hot. comes from a very reputable hatcher and they would not mess up that bad in the fertility department so i know it was the heat or post office

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by