Shipping eggs in the cold?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigredfeather, Jan 30, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have Welsummer eggs that were due to be here yesterday but haven't shown up yet. They were shipped Tuesday per US Priority Mail. The weather has gotten colder than I expected the last few days. The eggs were coming from Utah, and I live in Ohio. My question is, with this cold weather (20-25 degrees here)and delayed shipping, what are the chances that the eggs will still be viable? I would like to hear from people who have had a similar expirience.

Thanks.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

They can still hatch even though it's been cold. I live just next to Utah and it's been horribly cold lately but with any luck they moved closer to you and away from this frozen wasteland before they got too cold. I try to avoid shipping in the frigid cold but they can still be ok. Also, anything I ever order from east of the Mississippi seems to take 4-5 days to get here. I've ordered dozens of eggs and if they ship Monday, I almost always get them on Friday or Saturday. I am guessing it's similar in reverse.

3. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I know I should have waited, but my addition took control of my judgement. It's good to hear that they might be okay. With each day that passes though, I will be less optimistic that they will hatch. The USPS should revise their description of Priority Mail. It says 2-3 days, which doesn't seem to be the case.

4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    You might luck out. I had some sent priority last week and the cold hit earlier than expected. Way below zero. They were shipped Wed and got here Sat. The only thing I can think is they must keep PO warehouses above freezing cuz one egg was cracked bad - rough handling cuz it was great packaging - so I cracked this egg all the way open and there was no indication it had froze at all.
    Good Luck

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

What's irritating is that I've received flat rate boxes with eggs in them from Texas faster than eggs shipped priority from Alabama in the same time frame. 3 days for the Texas eggs and 7 days for the Alabama eggs. [​IMG]

I think the priority label is a joke. Just another way for the USPS to make another buck or two on your package. I don't think they ever have any intentions of getting it to you faster when you pay for the sticker. Just my opinion based on experience. Rant over.

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had eggs shipped from Texas to Ky it took 7 days for them to get here. They were ice cold when they got here. None were cracked and none were frozen I am still going to try to hatch them but my hopes are low.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I had some BCM eggs take 8 days to come from two states away priority mail [​IMG] Thru some of our coldest weather in a long time. They were all in great shape when they got here though..

8. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I got an email from the sender today. The eggs were returned to the sender, never even made it out of the state of Utah. She is going to resend fresh eggs this week, which is good because it is much warmer now. She was very nice about the whole situation. Hopefully this trip goes a little smoother. I guess all things happen for a reason. Lucky for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by