Shipping Eggs in the Winter??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heidi, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I'm getting an incubator for my birthday in December!! If I ordered fertilized eggs in December or January and had them shipped to me in Michigan would they survive?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Unless the weather conditions where absolutely ideal at that time, they would likely get frozen in transport. Far better to arrange eggs from a local source that you can drive to.

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    What if I had them shipped this coming week when the weather is in the 50's during the day and 40's at night?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No problem. Let me clarify-no problem in 40's weather, even 30's aren't bad. It's actually better for them to be sent in cooler weather than hot weather. I asked this question of veteran egg shippers recently and some told me the only time they don't ship is January. Some said they don't ship during summer. And then there is the question of how they're packed. If they're insulated enough, well, maybe they could survive pretty well unless the temps are in the teens or below.

5. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    It probably wouldn't do you much good to order eggs now, if you don't get your incubator until december. If the eggs were really well insulated, its worth a try! I don't know if I would spend a whole lot of money on them though. [​IMG]

6. Hi!
    I shipped hatching eggs to North Pole, AK in December and they were just fine (they hatched).
    The temp there was pretty darn cold.
    If I remember right the box was only marked "FRAGILE" and "PERISHABLE".

Good luck,
    Lisa

7. DrumStick

DrumStick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2007
    If it gets cold they probely woun"t survive.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by