Shipping eggs in winter

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yellow Snow, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Yellow Snow

Yellow Snow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    I live in a very cold climate but I want to order some hatching eggs...bad idea?

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I wouldnt spend a bunch of money on them. Be sure to place a hold on them and pick them up from the post office.

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    hatching shipped eggs is a gamble any time of the year. last year i sent 15 eggs from mid tenn to staten island,ny. mid december. they were delivered in a snow storm. guess what? all 15 hatched. you just never know

4. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Just got mine. From Tennessee to Northern Minnesota. They look great! If you have trust in the seller, don't worry too much!

P.S. - I candled some of mine tonight, just to check air cells, and they are doing WAY better than I expected! Don't stress yourself like I did... and have some fun hatching some fuzzy butts this winter [​IMG]

5. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    If packed right,with a lot of insulation, eggs will withstand a lot of cold weather.

6. Mom2Five

Mom2Five Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    It's not the COLD that I would worry about . . . it's the post office handling I would worry about.

[​IMG]

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I live in Canada so wherever I order eggs from, its gunna be cold where I am and where the seller is at this time of year. I don't know how your postal system works but all the eggs here are delivered by truck. That means that, depending on where you got the eggs from, they are sitting in a cold, unheated truck for quite awhile.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd worry about the cold unheated truck if your outside temps are really cold or if the truck route would pass through cold states. Eggs in my coop often freeze (and break) if they are not gathered twice per day during the winter. This year, we've had unseasonably warm temperatures and haven't lost a single egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by