1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping eggs in winter.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by liveTHEdream, Dec 3, 2013.

1. liveTHEdream

liveTHEdream New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Some people put heat packs in there eggs. Is this a good idea? I know it is better for the eggs to be little cold than little hot. The heat packs I use hunting ,I be leave would make the eggs start. I am going to order more eggs and would like to know peoples thoughts. TY

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    POsting to subscribe. I want to hear what everyone's thoughts are on the matter.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think it depends on how cold it gets, some places might cause an egg to freeze. the heat pack as long as it was not right up against the egg would not cause it to start to develop, and even if it did, in the very begining of hatching, you have to think about what happens to an egg with a hen. she sits and lays then leaves then she comes back to lay another egg sitting for an hr then lays an egg then leaves she does this til she has 10 or so eggs. but it is okay the egg doesn't really start to develop til the temp is correct for a more prolonged time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by