Shipping eggs long distances after a mild chilling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zyzzyx, Jan 5, 2011.

1. zyzzyx

zyzzyx Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Boquete, Panama
    Howdy y'all. I am a really newby. I live in Panama (the country) and wonder how difficult or whether it is even possible to ship chicks or eggs here. One BYC member suggested I open this thread and also ask about the viability or possibility of shipping chilled eggs. Anybody got and ideas???

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:You would need to start with your Panamas's laws/regulations as to the import of chicks and eggs and what is required. The bringing in of poultry/eggs into the US is very complex and requires a great deal of paper work as well as funds to cover importation requirements.

So, I would suggest that this be the starting point for you and then you could see what interest BYC members might have in sending to you. I don't understand the comment about shipping "chilled" eggs. Do you want eggs to eat or eggs to hatch???

Best wishes. Nancy
    ----------------------------

Our current auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
    10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
    12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
    10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
    Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing!

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    bargain gave good advice. [​IMG] I can't add much to it, though I've heard of people having good luck hatching refrigerated eggs. Would you want eggs shipped with an ice pack or something?

4. zyzzyx

zyzzyx Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Boquete, Panama
    Hello again--I have been reading about shipping hatchable eggs and the trials and tribulations that are inherent in that endeavor. It just occurred to me (through reading about the troubles people have) that high temperatures and temperature swings are harmful to the live egg. Is it not possible to keep the eggs at the same or about the same temperature they are kept by the owner of the chicken while enough eggs are gathered to ship; then provide some method to insulate the eggs inside the shipping container to at least attempt to maintain the temperature within the best range for the egg. Once again I am a real newby to this whole thing, but trying to maintain as constant a shipping temperature seems to me to be a worth while thing.

5. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Does anyone know what the optimal holding temperature is when collecting eggs for shipment? It would be very easy to put a blue-ice type of cold pack in a shipping box as well as select a time of the year most optimal for shipping eggs.

Joe

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    And ship inside a styrofoam container with that blue ice pack. It would help. I keep eggs at room temperature while gathering to hatch. But many people incubate refrigerated eggs too.

7. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Soo ... room temperature is 65-70 degrees?
    So we need to hear from BYC'ers who have successfully hatched refrigerated eggs.

Joe

8. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Eggs kept for hatching are best kept at fortyfive to fifty degrees. A wine refrigator is a good place to store them.[​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I hatched 3 chicks out of a dozen refrigerated Trader Joe's fertile eggs.

They were in the refrigerated case at the store. I let them come to room temperature, which in MY house is about 55-60 degrees. (I prefer to bundle up instead of warm the whole house.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by