Shipping eggs to Canada?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GracefulBantams, May 10, 2008.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I received the following email, and I am not quite sure how to answer it [​IMG] :

Have you ever shipped eggs to Canada?
    I am interested in some White Cochin and may have friends who would want to order too.
    How would we pay you quickly from here if interested?
    Let me know? Thank you.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is illegal to ship eggs from the US into Canada and vise versa without vet certifications and other paperwork. I understand it is very expensive.

3. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for the response, MissPrissy [​IMG]
    I checked on the USPS website for the cost of shipping a 3lb. box to Canada and it was around $25 (the potential buyer was willing to pay that amount).
    Also, is being from a NPIP certified flock enough?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You are required to have vet certificates to import into another country or to export here. There is a HUGE penalty for violating international laws.

PM Kstaven - he knows all about the export and import.

I wouldn't do it without proper certificates from authorities. In this case NPIP means relatively nothing.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You have to be NPIP certified and you have to have a vet inspection and they have to fill out paperwork called a VS 17-6 form.

There is also a filing fee for the form you pay to USDA. So, I think it would end up costing you around $100.00 to get the form.

In my opinion, it's not worth it.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    The person on the other end also has to get an import permit once you have the vet cert and Vs 17 form done on your end. You have about a month worth of time to set it all up and total cost to import eggs is likely about $250.00.

They also have to come through a port of entry into canada that has a CFIA vet on staff so they can clear the import and verify all paperwork is in order.

White cochins can be had here if one choses to look up breeders and breed clubs.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Without the paperwork those eggs will be confiscated/destroyed. We have very stringent laws about shipping foods and living things. Not only that but shipping from Oklahoma would be expensive and probably result in lost eggs.

8. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the replies. I will let the potential buyer know; we will probably call it off.

9. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Oh, I just checked my email and she had already sent me a message saying,

Kstavan knows what he's talking about I would think.....sorry this didn't work out Grace but then again we both learned from it? Thanks for trying and spending your time on it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by