1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping Eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Dec 25, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    How should I package the eggs for shipping?

Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    There are some older threads that cover this. I ship eggs all of the time, and I learnt how to by googling it and reading on BYC Do you know how to use search?

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Well what I do is, for normal coturnix eggs I lay a piece of toilet paper on top of a small plastic quail egg carton, then wrap that up inn tape and bubble wrap. Then after that I put that into a box (a big box) of foam that I cut to size, pile wood shavings and tinfoil into it, and tape securely up! Then I print the postage from Stamps.com, and bring to the post office or hand it to the mail carrier.

A couple quick tips that I learned the hard way... Make sure the eggs are secure so that they don't jostle around and scramble the embryos... Also, always get delivery confirmation AND a SCAN form. If you don't use a scan form, you might as well not use delivery confirmation. (if your postal worker doesn't know what it is, just have em scan it. The computer will do the rest.)

Some other methods I have used.... Shipping in chukar egg flats, for large numbers, encased in foam from a craft store, or use those foam shippers that you can find from ebay and other online shops... They really do get the eggs there without brreaking even a single one!

5. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Guys!!!!

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I use paper machet cartons for small orders and shipping flats for large orders.

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So........... we get eggs every day, and we put them in the incubator every egg we get. Is that OK?

8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    No, you will be fiddling with it way to much to have a decent hatch, and you will have staggered hatches, you can't put different ages into your brooder because they will kill eachother.

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    About shipping eggs, don't garuntee fertility at this time of the year.

10. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I know.... next april [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by