shipping eggs

alln7220

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
i am going to be shipping out about 25 to 50 coutrix eggs. i am not to shure what is the best way to do that. ( packing, shipping, lableing, ???)

THE METHOD THAT HAS WORKED BEST FOR ME...THOUSANDS OF EGGS EACH YR

START WITH THE PROPER SIZE PRIORITY MAIL BOX...
PACKING009.jpg

PAD THE BOTTOM WITH SHREDDED PAPER OR BUBLE WRAP- I PREFER THE PAPER, IT OFFERS GOOD PADDING + INSULATES FROM TEMPERATURE EXTREMES AND IS CHEAPER THAN BUBBLE WRAP

GET YA A CARTON OR FLAT...
PACKING001.jpg

I ADD SOME TIOLET PAPER TO THE BOTTOM FOR A LIL ADDED PADDING AND EGG SECURITY...
PACKING002.jpg

INSERT THE EGGS...
PACKING004.jpg

ADD A LAYER OF BUBBLE WRAP INSIDE THE CARTON FOR PADDING AND SECURITY..
PACKING005.jpg

SECURELY TAPE THE CARTON CLOSED..
PACKING006.jpg

THEN WRAP THE WHOLE CARTON IN BUBBLE WRAP..
PACKING008.jpg

PLACE IT IN YOUR PRIORITY MAIL BOX AND SNUGGLY PACK THE REMAINING SPACE FULL OF SHREDDED PAPER AND TAPE CLOSED...
PACKING010.jpg

AND TA' DA'! ADDRESS IT AND SHIP.... EASY BREEZY
smile.png

A COUPLE OF FINE POINTS TO NOTE.... PRIORITY MAIL BOXES ARE FREE AT YOUR PO OR YOU CAN ORDER THEM IN LG LOTS AND THEY SHIP THEM TO YOUR HOUSE FOR FREE. PRIORITY MAIL COMES IN 3 FORMS... #1 STANDARD BY WEIGHT X DISTANCE, #2 REGIONAL RATE- VARYING FLAT RATE FOR WEIGHT AND DISTANCE, #3 PLAIN JANE FLAT RATE

UNLESS YOUR ITEM WEIGHS 3 POUNDS OR MORE USE PLAIN OLD EVERY DAY PRIORITY MAIL (IT'S THE CHEAPEST WAY). IF 3 POUNDS OR MORE USE REGIONAL RATE PRIORITY MAIL

NOTE EACH TYPE OF PRIORITY MAIL REQUIRES SPECIALLY MARKED BOXES- PLAIN OLD PRIORITY MAIL BOXES FOR STANDARD PRIORITY MAIL, REGIONAL RATE BOXES FOR REGIONAL RATE, AND FLAT RATE BOXES FOR FLAT RATE... IN MY EXPERIENCE FLAT RATE IS A RIP OFF TO THE AVERAGE EGG SHIPPER, (THEY WORK WELL FOR REALLY HEAVY BREEDS LIKE TURKEY OR GOOSE- BUT NOT GAMEBIRDS. NOW IF YOU MAKE THE 3 LB MARK AND ARE SHIPPING ACROSS THE COUNTRY REGIONAL RATE WILL SAVE YOU A LIL MONEY, OTHERWISE GO STANDARD PRIORITY MAIL
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
YOU'RE WELCOME
smile.png

BIGGEST THING TO REMEMBER IS TO FIND THE RIGHT ADJUNCT PRODUCTS AND FIGURE OUT THE WAY TO USE THEM BEST TO SUIT YOUR NEEDS, WHICH IN THIS CASE IS SHIPPING EGGS FROM POINT A TO POINT B HOPEFULLY INTACT AND IN GOOD USEABLE CONDITION. IT MAY LOOK EASY HERE ON THE SCREEN BUT IT CAN BE FROUGHT WITH DIFFICULTY IN THE REAL WORLD. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ENDEAVORS
thumbsup.gif

The regional rate 'A' box costs the same as 2# Priority shipping. The regional rate 'B' box uses the 4# priority rate. Just an FYI
smile.png

@ The OP: I assume since you seem to have never shipped eggs before that you don't readily have quail egg cartons laying around
smile.png
What I do is wrap each egg in 3-4 sheets of toilet paper, fold the ends over, and lay the egg on its side in a regular chicken egg carton with the folded part down to cushion it. If I'm shipping 12+ eggs I use half of a 12-ct carton and layer the eggs in it. You can fit 15 coturnix eggs in half of a 12-ct carton. If I have more than 12+ eggs to ship I just use another 1/2 carton. I no longer use bubble wrap at all unless I'm shipping button quail eggs, and then only because I use an egg flat and need something to 'hold' the eggs inside the flat. Lately, any eggs that have arrived at their destination broken would not have been saved by a few sheets of bubble wrap (smashed boxes).

Last edited:
thank you so much. that is the second time you have shown me the way. the first was on beer sexing. thanks for all the help and asom info.
big_smile.png

The regional rate 'A' box costs the same as 2# Priority shipping. The regional rate 'B' box uses the 4# priority rate. Just an FYI

ONLY IF THOSE STANDARD BOXES WEIGH 3 POUNDS. IF THEY WEIGH LESS THEN STANDARD PRICES ARE CHEAPER. FOR THE QUAIL EGGS I LOVE THE REGION RATE "B" BOXES (THANK YOU SHELLEY FOR BRINGING THEM TO MY ATTENTION) THEY WORK GREAT FOR 2 OF THE CARTONS YOU SEE PICTURED = 60 EGGS. FOR LARGE COTURNIX EGGS MANY TIMES I'M RIGHT AT 3 POUNDS, FOR 1 CARTON ITS LESS WEIGHT. SINCE I WEIGH AND USE CLICK AND SHIP WHENEVER POSSIBLE I CHECK BBOTH STANDARD WEIGHT COSTS, AND REGIONAL=== I THEN CHOOSE THE CHEAPEST AND IF ITS STANDARD I PLACE PRIORITY MAIL STICKERS OVER THE REGIONAL RATE MARKINGS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX... MOST TIMES STANDARD IS CHEAPER, SOME TIMES ITS EQUAL, AND IF HEAVY REGIONAL IS CHEAPER. UNLESS YOU WEIGH AND USE CLICK AND SHIP YOU WONT HAVE ANY WAY OF KNOWING WHICH IS CHEAPEST AND MAY BE AT THE MERCY OF THE USPS​

Quote:
ONLY IF THOSE STANDARD BOXES WEIGH 3 POUNDS. IF THEY WEIGH LESS THEN STANDARD PRICES ARE CHEAPER. FOR THE QUAIL EGGS I LOVE THE REGION RATE "B" BOXES (THANK YOU SHELLEY FOR BRINGING THEM TO MY ATTENTION) THEY WORK GREAT FOR 2 OF THE CARTONS YOU SEE PICTURED = 60 EGGS. FOR LARGE COTURNIX EGGS MANY TIMES I'M RIGHT AT 3 POUNDS, FOR 1 CARTON ITS LESS WEIGHT. SINCE I WEIGH AND USE CLICK AND SHIP WHENEVER POSSIBLE I CHECK BBOTH STANDARD WEIGHT COSTS, AND REGIONAL=== I THEN CHOOSE THE CHEAPEST AND IF ITS STANDARD I PLACE PRIORITY MAIL STICKERS OVER THE REGIONAL RATE MARKINGS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX... MOST TIMES STANDARD IS CHEAPER, SOME TIMES ITS EQUAL, AND IF HEAVY REGIONAL IS CHEAPER. UNLESS YOU WEIGH AND USE CLICK AND SHIP YOU WONT HAVE ANY WAY OF KNOWING WHICH IS CHEAPEST AND MAY BE AT THE MERCY OF THE USPS

No, you aren't understanding what I'm saying. The regional rate boxes have to have postage printed online, you can't get RR pricing by going to the P.O. (if you don't believe me, try finding the post office price for RR on the website...there isn't one). Considering that the RR boxes are intended for use with RR shipping, you aren't supposed to use them for 'regular' priority shipping.

Compare the prices on the site. Regional rate 'A' has the same rate as a 2# priority box via 'regular' priority mail. Regional rate 'B' box has the same rate as a 4# 'regular' priority package.

Covering the 'regional rate' part of the box will only result in the P.O. eventually pulling those boxes. If you want to use regular priority mail, use the #7 box. It's bigger, the cardboard is heavier, and it's 'legal' to use with 'regular' priority pricing.

ETA: About the only thing I use the RR boxes for are duck eggs because they are extremely heavy. I almost never use the 'B' box. Most of my eggs go out in a #4 priority mail box.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom