Shipping eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rubyredchick, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Rubyredchick

Rubyredchick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    I was wondering what is the best way to ship your eggs. Is driving in your car for 12 hours with your eggs in hand a good idea?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    If you're asking whether picking up your eggs as opposed to having the post office deliver them is a good idea, then, YES, by all means pick them up!

Post Office handling is VERY rough on the eggs (with the shuffling from truck to truck to shelf to cart; not to mention the x-rays and the accidental dropping on the floor).

If you don't mind picking them up, do that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  3. Rubyredchick

Dec 31, 2012
    Hello,

Thank you for your wonderful advice. I will be picking the eggs up soon.

Rubyredchick

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have to admit I wouldn't drive 12 hours unless the eggs were very, very special.

I've shipped eggs thousands of miles and never had one break. I've bought bubble wrap (the little bubble ones) and then wrap each egg individually. Then I fill a med or large flat rate priority box with packing peanuts. If I can, I'll stick the wrapped eggs in an egg carton and tape it shut, and then stick into the box of packing peanuts, making sure there's peanuts on all sides and fairly full so that it can't wiggle much. Tape it all up, and write fragile all over it. I've had good luck with it. Unfortunately, my buyer reported that all eggs made it just fine, but never told me the hatch rate.

I've received eggs shipped the same way, had an 80% hatch rate, which is awesome, considering they were shipped 2000 miles during the second week of December.

Oh, and it's a good idea to ship on a Monday so that the eggs will definitely reach their destination by Saturday.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. Rubyredchick

Dec 31, 2012
    Hello,

Thanks so much for your great advice.

Rubyredchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by