Shipping Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chiknhurder, Jan 13, 2014.

1. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    What is the best way to package and ship fertile eggs? I'll be sending them from Kansas City to Houston.

2. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
  3. chiknhurder

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Thank you JDchicks. I appreciate the help. The how to was exactly what I was looking for.

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    The one thing I see wrong in that link is that they have laid the eggs on their sides in the box. They should be sent upright instead.

Here is a letter created by BYC member ozexpat to egg shippers on how to package:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/424

5. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I agree upright and small end down so that they can be set into the incubator with the best air cell and membranes possible. I still let them settle 12 hours after shipping before incubating. I have fairly good hatch rates with shipped eggs even though I only count on 50% when ordering.

6. chiknhurder

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    I didn't notice that they were lying on their sides but I wouldn't have shipped them that way anyway. Makes sense to me that if you're supposed to store them large end up then they would probably need to be shipped that way as well since the shipping container is basically a temporary storage container. Thank both of you anyway.

I was unable to open your attachment, Viola.

7. chiknhurder

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Double post for some reason.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by