shipping fertile eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Country Living Farm, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I am not sure if this is the right spot for the post or not. If not I am new to the site so please direct me to the right place. Anyways, I was wondering what the best way to ship eggs are. I know there are many different way but what is the best way to do it. I just got some and they were in an egg carton with plastic bags and that was it. No bubble wrap at all. I want to ship some to a friend and want to make sure they all get their. If you have pictures, please post them.

Tks in advance.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Bubble wrap is not necessary depending on how they are packed. If they are in a carton, the most important thing is that they don't bump each other or the sides of the box. They need to be packed in the box rather tightly to keep them from moving around.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with using egg cartons for shipping, though I am learning! I use a lot of bubble wrap on mine, most of the time.

But as long as they can't bump into anything, and are not touching the sides of the box, they should be fine. [​IMG]

3. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I'll second that -- they can't bump anything during shipping.

I just got my first package of first ever hatching eggs. They were well packed but the box was SEVERELY damaged having one corner completely smashed in and breaking of eggs.
    I tangled with the post office about it, and it was concluded that if one expects special handling, the pkg is guaranteed if it goes by express mail and is marked, not only fragile, but "live" animals or "perishable."
    The post office says they are not responsible otherwise.
    They won't even give me a replacement shipping if you can believe it.

If I have valuable or irreplaceable eggs I'll do express mail.

Even though this package was badly damaged, only 2 of 14 eggs were broken. Now I'm just hoping some of them are still viable.

Bubble wrapped eggs suspended in packing peanuts would be my best suggestion. Good luck.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I believe it, I had my idiot carrier tie a bag on the side of the mailbox that had eggs in it around Christmas time last year. Needless to say, someone stole it, and the p.o. (nor this hick-town's police dept.) wouldn't do anything about it.

ETA: The only problem with free-floating bubble wrapped eggs in packing peanuts is that it is very difficult to get packing peanuts packed tight. The eggs could still possibly move around and work their way to the outsides of the box. Now, if the eggs were taped or wrapped together, then that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by