Shipping from Louisiana??

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
I am just starting to sell and ship chickens and have been reading about specific regulations for my state. I live in
Louisiana and it says this:

Louisiana
Poultry - NPIP or test within 30 days for P/T Prior permit and health certificate;
Quarantined for 90 days

What does a prior permit and health certificate? I plan on calling this number and getting p/t tested. What else do I have to do?

Those are the regulations for shipping INTO Louisiana.

** POULTRY and HATCHING EGGS ***

All poultry entering the state must meet the general requirements of LAC 7:XXI.11703 and the following specific requirements:

A. All poultry or poultry eggs for hatching shall not be imported into Louisiana unless they originate in negative tested flocks under the supervision of the National Poultry Improvement Plan or in flocks that have passed a negative blood test for pullorum disease, under the supervision of the proper State Livestock Sanitary Board official, within 30 days prior to entry.

B. Poultry consigned to a recognized slaughter establishment may enter the state on a waybill, which must include the name and address of the consignee, the number of birds, and the name and address of the slaughter establishment. If, in the opinion of an authorized agent of the Livestock Sanitary Board, poultry consigned to a recognized slaughter establishment is of questionable health, the entire shipment will be quarantined immediately and consigned to a poultry establishment maintaining federal inspection for wholesomeness or be returned to the state of origin.

C. The State veterinarian may prohibit the entry of birds, eggs, or poultry by-products into Louisiana from any state which has an area under quarantine due to a contagious and/or infectious disease in the state which, in his opinion, may seriously threaten the health of Louisiana poultry.

D. Psittacine birds and mynah birds may be imported into Louisiana under permit by the state veterinarian. All birds imported into Louisiana will be quarantined at destination for 90 days.

E. No permits will be issued for importation into Louisiana of psittacine birds or mynah birds that have been vaccinated for newcastle disease.

F. Birds determined to be infected with, or exposed to, exotic newcastle disease, shall be destroyed without compensation to the owner.

G. All poultry brought into Louisiana shall be accompanied by a VS Form 9-2, indicating that the flock of origin is under the National Poultry Improvement Plan and is free of salmonella pullorum (pullorum) and salmonella gallinarum (typhoid). If the flock of origin is not under the National Poultry Improvement Plan, the birds must be accompanied by a test report from an approved laboratory indicating the birds were tested negative for salmonella pullorum/typhoid within 30 days prior to entry into Louisiana .

Here is where you find the regulations to ship TO other states. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

Thanks sundown! I have been looking for that! I'm getting npip tested soon. I'm scared I will fail! This is my first time shipping. I got a box from boxesforbirds.com and am getting npip tested this month. Have you ever shipped?

Back
Top Bottom