Shipping hatching eggs outside of lower 48. Against the law???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harvestalaska, Jun 4, 2010.

1. harvestalaska

harvestalaska New Egg

Nov 18, 2009
    Many sellers on the E-bay told me that sending hatching eggs to Alaska is against the law [​IMG] (or [​IMG] ) I have tried to google this law, but did not find anything. I would appreciate if someone will post a link to this "law".
    Thanks a lot

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Well, I've done plenty of it, with 'hatching eggs' written allllllll over the box, so if it's illegal, no one's looking.

3. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Also, it's not any more expensive to ship up there- worked just fine as far as hatches, too, with over 75% hatch rate- I assume the handling isn't any different.

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    We here in Alaska mostly get screwed by paying ridiculous postal fees, and it taking a long time. This is probably why someone told you this, so you wouldn't bother them. Buy from the folks on here [​IMG]

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Shipping to Alaska is legal, just takes longer.

Shipping to Hawaii is illegal if you don't have all import papers.

6. harvestalaska

harvestalaska New Egg

Nov 18, 2009
    It is the same rate if using USPS flat rate boxes. I was just confused how people "want it to be the law" without any proof [​IMG] I guess Foucault was right [​IMG]

7. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Folks just don't want to go any extra length if they don't have to...even though in this case, there is none!

One gal I shipped to up there bought tons of extra eggs and I sent a huge flat rate packed to the gills- she was tickled, and now I know why! What a pain to have to convince folks you can receive eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by