Shipping in chicks question

kris13

Chirping
Jun 10, 2016
This was our first time shipping from a hatchery. One chick (the smallest) seems a little disorientated, but at least is eating/drinking, so probably just give her a day or two to recover from the traveling?

This was our first time shipping from a hatchery. One chick (the smallest) seems a little disorientated, but at least is eating/drinking, so probably just give her a day or two to recover from the traveling?
Shipping is very stressful on chicks!

Nutri drench is good option. If you don't have it, a homemade electrolyte solution is... 2 cups warm water, 2 teaspoons brown (or white) sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda. Stir until dissolved and serve full strength. I give at least the electolytes to ALL shipped chicks... as well, the feed stores usually use like Sav a Chick solution but I think the nutridrench might be more effective.

Chicks eating and drinking is good. Anyone who doesn't get up and do that while everyone else is the ones you will wanna keep your eye on. And don't forget to check for pasty butt often. Depending on how big your brood is, it can be easy to miss but very deadly very fast.

We also offer new chicks a boiled and smashed egg just for the added nutrients and simple digestion.

But everybody drinking is THE most important as dehydration will kill, they won't likely starve.

Especially if they just arrived, I would give a couple days for recovery. But make sure you contact the hatchery during their time frame if you have any loss.

Hope you are enjoying BYC so far.

Pics always welcome!
wink.png

They can have egg that early on? (Just a few days old.) I'll check out the nutri-drench, we do have an electrolyte of some sort but it's not that one. Ours isn't too big, just seven. Def. will have pics! They showed up very early this morning so didn't have much time to get them settled in before leaving for work. (Great motivator for the kids to get ready / have breakfast and then you can see the chicks) :p

They can have egg that early on? (Just a few days old.) I'll check out the nutri-drench, we do have an electrolyte of some sort but it's not that one. Ours isn't too big, just seven. Def. will have pics! They showed up very early this morning so didn't have much time to get them settled in before leaving for work. (Great motivator for the kids to get ready / have breakfast and then you can see the chicks) :p
Yes... when they are hatched, they still have the egg yolk in their tummy and absorb the nutrient from it. Maybe just do the yolk part. Or skip it if you are uncomfortable... No matter what people say, you must do what makes sense to you!

Sometimes if chicks are very small I will even crush the crumbles for a few days to a week.

Just try your electrolyte solution, doesn't sound like you are in serious danger yet. How long were they in shipping for? Today being Wednesday, probably shipped Monday. Pretty standard time frame. Still hard for the chicks though... They always seem like "what's this bright light" after being in the dark box for days.

As soon as possible, I would bring in a nice patch of grass/dirt clod. They will really enjoy it and build immunity to your soil microbes while they still have their highest immunity! They will also get tiny pebbles that will serve as grit. I wouldn't give treats though for at least a week, probably longer... but egg is OK... it's high in protein and micro nutrient. If the weather is decent, mine make it out to pasture as young as 3 days. But every brood is different and I roll with it.

Kiddos are great... just remember when you start seeing pin feathers, avoid putting pressure on them as it's very uncomfortable for the chicks. Also when the kids do approach, it's best to do it at like table level where the chicks can see you approaching. And reach in front to pick them up instead of swooping in like an aerial predator from above! Huge difference in chick behavior.
smile.png

Best wishes!
fl.gif

Thanks for all the tips/thoughts. I don't mind giving them egg, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for all the tips/thoughts. I don't mind giving them egg, just wanted to make sure.
I'm confident about it. Seriously though, on everything feel free to get a second opinion... better safe than sorry
wink.png
and people are mistaken all the time.
hmm.png

An employee at TSC told someone on here they must put their 12 week old chicks on Purina Layena.
ep.gif
No way! Good intentions, bad information.

Does the one you are a little concerned for seem to still be active? How large is your actual brood?

Will wait patiently for some pics!
big_smile.png

We have eight hens all about a year old and just got the new seven chicks. The one we were concerned about, the minute we got them settled, all the others were eating/running about, she just huddled up on one side and didn't move. Half hour later, she at least was eating/by the food, just seemed not to have her footing set. (My other half called it chicken jet lag, he may not be wrong.)

We have eight hens all about a year old and just got the new seven chicks. The one we were concerned about, the minute we got them settled, all the others were eating/running about, she just huddled up on one side and didn't move. Half hour later, she at least was eating/by the food, just seemed not to have her footing set. (My other half called it chicken jet lag, he may not be wrong.)
Definitely could be jet lag. After seeing my own chicks hatch... they are so wobbly! And they are trying to learn how to get their footing while in the box being jostled around. It's got to be exhausting! Make sure she is jumping up when the others bump her. And drinking is the most important! If you don't see her make it to water, wake her up and take her there. If she ends up to weak, and I hope not... you can use your finger to drip your liquid onto her beak and she will gobble it when it rolls around into her mouth.

Does your mix have the B vitamins in it? Those are the ones that really help boost the energy. Some people will you Poly Vi Sol baby vitamins with NO iron. One other Baby vitamin I saw at Wally did not have the B's.

7 chicks is a good size brood. Not to large to catch issues but still big enough to have lots of happy little peeping conversations.
smile.png

I'll check on the vitamin B thing when I get back home. She perked up quite a bit though. Def. the runt of the group but was running around this morning.

Back
Top Bottom