Shipping in the heat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Meara, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Hi - I was wondering if it's still possible to priority ship adult birds in this heat? Are the birds kept in air conditioning? What are the postal regulations? I've heard several different things and need to get my facts straight. Thanks!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No, do NOT ship birds in this heat! It may be ok to one post office to another but sometimes there is a delay during the terminal and who knows how long the birds will be sitting there.

If I were you, to get the birds in good shape, I would advise you to wait until cooler weathers. Some airlines have rules that no animals will be shipped out. Unless you want to go strictly on Pet Airways which they specialize any pets including birds to ship.

3. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Yeah, I really wondered about this. They aren't kept in air conditioning then? I'm a bit baffled by the route birds take during express shipping. Trucks? And airplanes?

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    USPS trucks do not have a/c in them except for the driver's truck. I don't think any driver wants to have a chicken in the back of his seat or passenger seat. Airplanes are pressurized but cool, no, not in the belly of the plane in the summer.

I think if you are pressed for time, Pet Airways will be the one for you because they will make sure your birds will get to their destination in good condition.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

PO regulations used to state and I'm assuming still do that they won't accept fro shipping anything older than day-olds if the temp at either end of the trip is above 85 degrees.....still pretty warm in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by