Shipping LIVE birds QUESTION..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cindiloohoo, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Who has the most reasonable rates? Does UPS allow live animals?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    [​IMG]

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Anybody know how to safely ship a [​IMG] ANYBODY?????? [​IMG]

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    USPS and you have to purchase approved boxes and temp on shipping and receiving end have to be within the proper ranges or they will not ship. Check with your local PO and they can tell you when their truck leaves, I generally get them to the PO right before the truck leaves so they don't have to sit there. They must ship Express but it is not guaranteed overnight, they changed the rules and allow themselves 3 days now on Live Animals. I am still trying to get some shipped to VA, weather is no where near cooperating.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    You must take account of weather conditions... if it is cold where you are and cold where they are going then I would say wait.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Believe me with started or adult birds, not chicks, can be very warm in those boxes regardless of how cold it is. Baby chicks, I would say, wait a while. You have to think about birds and other animals out on the tarmac and between flights and how long they will be sitting out on the trailer. To prepare ahead of time is an ounce worth of prevention!

If it is going to be snowing or ice, delay shipping.

If it is nice cold day, they will be fine.

Pack apples, pears and grapes for them. More than they need for one day if they ended up having a hold over.

UPS, Fed EX do not ship birds except for the routing or direct flights. Fed EX has been known to ship birds but they will not deliver them.....USPS are the ones to deliver them and have a contract with Fed EX to do some of their overload or special shipments. My post office uses the Fed Ex's schedules for flights from a major city and how they would truck them there.

7. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Best place to get shipping boxes for live birds?

8. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
  9. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Thanks Steve. I'll check those out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by