Shipping "LIVE" Chickens - Anyone with Experience ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EM Squared Farms, Aug 19, 2011.

1. EM Squared Farms

EM Squared Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
    Hello Back Yard Chickens Members !

Does anyone have experience with shipping out "live chickens" ?

I'm wondering if there is another source for those "special live chicken shipping boxes" ?

I have one reference: http://www.hm-e.net/

[but am shocked how much a special chicken box costs ! ($10 for a 1 chicken (or 2 bantam) size, or $30 for a 3 chicken size plus $35 for S&H on 2-3 boxes)]

Is if fair to charge the customer this additional box charge ? (on top of the shipping charges they are already going to pay ?)

Thanks everyone !

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=252070

Here are the requirements for shipping live adult poultry. Yes, you charge the box charge on top of shipping.

And you must be NPIP or have a vet's certificate and sometimes an extra permit from the state you're shipping the birds into on top of that.

1 person likes this.
  3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
  4. EM Squared Farms

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
  5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:Those boxes are not labeled USPS approved, I would not use them.

6. EM Squared Farms

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
    Oh, thanks ! I'll take that one off the list. I have a few on the list for my husband to look over to see which is the best buy.

Do you ship chickens ? (which ones are your favorite boxes ?)

I'm looking for a 3 bantam chicken box for an order. I'm still processing how it can cost $30 for a box and you have to buy at least 2 or 3 and pay the $35 S & H.
    I guess it just is what it is. But it never hurts to shop around.

Thanks again,

7. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Horizon is the most popular choice of box, and there are a number of sources for them. It is more cost effective if you buy them in bulk, so if you will always be shipping the same size birds that would be a way to save a few $ over the long term. You do pass the box cost and shipping fees onto the buyer. Anyone buying bird(s) who have to be shipped know these costs are normal.

8. EM Squared Farms

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
    I know, I'm just feeling a little bad at how much it's costing the buyer on their end.

Hopefully it's a good economics lesson for my son. One day it will be his problem to manage all the financials dealing with chickens. Even though he's not paying for everything now (he's only 12) we like to point out what things cost.

We have no idea how many boxes will be in our future for shipping, so for now we would probably just buy the minimum. My husband is more the financial genius in the family, so we let him make all those kinds of decisions.

We'll see how it goes. We had another customer call wanting chickens shipped also, but this one we could actually deliver to since it was on the way of a future road trip. I guess a lot of people are used to having chickens shipped.

We'll get better at it as time goes by. I think it's better to be a little conservative and buy only what you need instead of planning ahead for an uncertain future (will we need that many boxes ?).

Thanks !

9. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Lisa, depending the box size you need/want to use you may find someone in the area willing to split an order. We live north of you near the space center, and have offered to others to share egg carton orders before.

Shellie

10. EM Squared Farms

Aug 15, 2011
    Ft. Pierce, FL
    That's a great idea ! We're lucky to have inherited more egg cartons than we know what to do with from people. We only sell eggs to one lady at church, every other week.

Maybe I'll talk to our other chicken friend and see if he needs any more boxes. I didn't realize how rude I was being by asking him if he had a box, like it's no big thing. I had no idea how much they cost and their shipping. Now I know better and will have to apologize. Can you believe I even thought he could just ship them for me since he probably had a FedEx account and ships all the time ? Apparently he brings them to the post office, just like everyone else. Your mind comes up with all sorts of ideas sometimes !

Do you need any more boxes ?

My husband works up on the Space Coast - off of Wickham.

I just need one 3 chambered box by the end of Sept.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by