Shipping Live Chicks! (not sure where else to post this)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RIRJen, Mar 22, 2013.

1. RIRJen

RIRJen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Hello!
    I am getting a lot of requests to ship chicks...and I've never done this before. I'm hoping someone can guide me through it so I can, at some point, offer this option to people looking for birds rather then eggs. Any tips and ect would be extremely helpful...also I would be shipping them USPS.

2. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have only done it once, but it really isn't that hard. First you need to get a shipping box. There are sever different places to get them, just do a search and you will find a bunch. Then after the chicks hatch you box them up, bring them to the post office and put a shipping label on them and pay the postage. Things do get a little more complicated if you are shipping less than 25. If you are not NPIP (it may not be a requirement for your state) then you may not be able to ship to some other states (but really this isn't something that is checked, the post office does not monitor this).

3. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    Pm sent, rirjen...
    Cheers
    M

4. RIRJen

RIRJen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Ya, I really dout I would be shipping 25 at a time. Thank you for the info though. I'll check into boxes and see what all it requires. I've heard you have to ship them the day they hatch so they have those first 3 days to get to thier destination without food/water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by