Shipping my eggs-PO Vent

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirlie1031, Jul 5, 2008.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    UH!!! The hassle at the Post Office today. I swear! The guy wasn't going to let me mail out some hatching eggs I owed on the BYC Crazy Egg thread because he said if they are fertile eggs then they are live animals. Well, ya sort of. If they develop and hatch that is. So, I finally talked to his boss and got the eggs shipped but his boss said the post office normally does not ship stuff like that. AS if! How come do I have chicks from eggs I got in the mail? Anyways... I just needed to vent. Next time I will go to a different post office.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Eggs are not live animals. boy, people can be stupid. lol

How did he know that they were eggs?

3. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    My mom made me write Fragile Hatching Eggs on the box so they would handle them nicely and not beat the box up. The boxes that are marked that arrive in the best shape here. Unmarked boxes have recieved the most damage when I get them sent to me.

4. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    That's funny, especially since you are in Iowa. I am amazed that they haven't come across any chicks yet. Thank goodness my PO people are chicken competent.

5. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    This was at an Iowa City Post office. I guess because it was a city and not a rural post office is why I got the run-around. I did not have trouble at my own post office but it was closed today.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  7. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    Well, I had a breeding trio sent from Indiana via USPS. I got the phone call to go pick them up and was told that live animals were not to be sent by mail. She collected the $95.00 for shipping that was owed on it. Then told me, only day old chicks were supposed to be sent USPS. (Now, this was a huge box and the roo was crowing. They put it into the ladies restroom with the lights out until I got there.) Does anyone here think, they thought they were day old chicks.

Sometimes I think there is so much the PO Employees need to know they just become overwhelmed and if they think it doesn't apply to them, they let it go in one ear and out the other.

Tracy

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  8. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'll have to remember that if I ever have trouble again. Thanks Jody. I knew they shipped live poultry and eggs but this guy was just giving me a hard time about it. He finally listened to my father that they do ship eggs. Luckily we had all car-pooled and he was with me or I probably would of had to wait until Monday and gone to my own post office.

9. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Yeah. I think if they don't want to deal with it they try to convince people it's not allowed.

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had the same thing happen to me at the wildwood post office. Lady told me if my name wasn't on the list I couldn't ship anything. I said what list she said this list. I said it's eggs not chickens or chicks. They don't go express and it's not a live animal. She wasn't going to send them and I had to argue with her that I was allowed to mail them. So she finally said well I will do it this time next time you have to be on the list. I said don't worry next time I won't stamp the box fragile eggs so that way no one but me knows! I was only sending from that post office because it was close to my office. Next time I will send from the one next to my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by