Shipping Older Chicks??? How???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JordanFamily, May 11, 2010.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I have some Polish chicks I'm going to post on the auction but was wondering If I can offer them for shipping? Should I wait until they are 6 weeks old??? And where do I get the box to ship them in? I know they will have to go Express mal with USPS but don't kbnow where to get the box, and what to do for warmth and food for them while they are in the box? How many should I send together? Would two be ok or will I need moree added for warmth??? I'm in MO and it is May so I think they should be fine... Please give me all your advice... Thanks so much everyone!!! [​IMG]

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

pm'd you.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If they aren't day olds, according to postal rules they have to be a certain weight or age, I can't remember which it is. You can order the boxes from horizen or a poultry supply place.

4. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:When I called USPS they said there is no resctriction on age or size... They only say requirments for day olds and adult birds... So I asked them what they consider an adult bird and they said there is no description so it is up to the shipper's idea of what an adult bird is... They said it does not matter if the chick is just a month old... It will just need to be in an adult box that meets the requirments for shipping adult poultry. And it must be shipped Express if it is not a day old chick. So you can ship any age of chicken... I'm wanting to know is where you guys get the boxes, and how many to ship together for the different ages for warmth at different temps, and how you feed them durring transit???

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:When I called USPS they said there is no resctriction on age or size... They only say requirments for day olds and adult birds... So I asked them what they consider an adult bird and they said there is no description so it is up to the shipper's idea of what an adult bird is... They said it does not matter if the chick is just a month old... It will just need to be in an adult box that meets the requirments for shipping adult poultry. And it must be shipped Express if it is not a day old chick. So you can ship any age of chicken... I'm wanting to know is where you guys get the boxes, and how many to ship together for the different ages for warmth at different temps, and how you feed them durring transit???

Well their regulations state that there are guidelines. It's posted on here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's the regualtions for mailing day odl poultry. Somewhere it talks about them either having to be day-old or much older to legally mail them. I'll have to search further.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=252067

I found it......each bird has to weigh at least 6 oz.
    526.42 Mailability Requirements
    The specific types of adult fowl listed in 526.41 and DMM 601.9.3.4 are mailable only when sent by Express Mail service under the following conditions:

The mailer must secure containers approved by the manager of Mailing Standards (see 608.8.0 for address).
    The number of birds per parcel must follow the container manufacturer limits, and each bird must weigh more than 6 ounces.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by