SHippiNG on Chicks??HEalthy or Not??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kera!, Mar 14, 2011.

1. kera!

kera! Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I live in Rural Town Az and am getting chick via mail from maine? It will take 4 days to get to me will they Be healthy?? what should I do to give them the best chance possible???Thanks In ADVanCE

2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Wow 4 days? Thats seems like a very long time. If it takes that long, you will have to prepare the brooder so they can get right in as soon as they get home, and have electrolytes and probably Gro-Gel as well. Good luck!

3. clkingtx

clkingtx Songster

Dec 1, 2009
    Newly hatched chicks can survive for 2-3 days without food. I have not heard of many success stories with chicks being in the mail for four days. Can you choose a quicker shipping method, or find a closer hatchery? I would read some of the stories on here about chicks in transit for more than 2-3 days. It usually(if not always) doesn't turn out well.

Sorry to be a downer, but like I said, maybe there is another option?

Carrie

4. kera!

kera! Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    thanks I wanted to check didnt want to give them a death sentence..[​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I would definitely urge you to look for a closer hatchery. Almost every single state has at least one, and they usually are within driving distance if you live close to a major city. Even a day of shipping ups the mortality rate (I never ship, I pick up directly at the hatchery, and have never lost a chick).

Also, it sounds like that hatchery doesn't care about their birds at all. 4 days without food or water is excessive for any baby animal. A responsible hatchery would offer expedited shipping, or tell you 'no'. What a horrible thing to do to babies.

6. kera!

kera! Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    thanks got them from somone who would do it in 2 days i dont live close to any breeders I dont think..[​IMG]

7. clkingtx

clkingtx Songster

Dec 1, 2009
    Good job, glad to hear you found someone closer.

Hope you have fun with them!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: