Shipping out of season?

allanimals21

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
MN
I was wondering what the risks are? I know obviously its cold but how well do the chicks handle that? The thing is I want to replace my laying flock and I thought if I got the chicks soon that they would be laying next summer? What are your guys opinions and experiences?

i would say you would be allright. Just as long as you kept them in a heated place untill they fully featherd out. So if your willing to put up with chikens in the garage with a heat lamp on them, or somewhere out in the barn...then i say GO FOR IT!
cool.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is 20 to 25 chicks to a box, they will be fine. If less, they might need some hand warmers on the sides of box to keep warm during shipping. You can ship them at almost all times and they will be fine. Adviseable NOT to ship when there is temps under 10-20 degrees outside. 15 chicks they can handle 30 degrees in shipping without too much problems. If you dont know for sure, order all males packing peanuts to help the pullets thru.

In most cases, they will be fine! I would have done the same if I need some layers in the spring so I order chicks now until Dec to get them going.

Go for it!

some of the ones I looked at still have a limited available. So I'm hoping to get what I want/need.

Back
Top Bottom