1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping out of season?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by allanimals21, Nov 14, 2009.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I was wondering what the risks are? I know obviously its cold but how well do the chicks handle that? The thing is I want to replace my laying flock and I thought if I got the chicks soon that they would be laying next summer? What are your guys opinions and experiences?

2. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    i would say you would be allright. Just as long as you kept them in a heated place untill they fully featherd out. So if your willing to put up with chikens in the garage with a heat lamp on them, or somewhere out in the barn...then i say GO FOR IT! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  3. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I'm not worried about when I get them...its the shipping itself that I'm worried about

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If there is 20 to 25 chicks to a box, they will be fine. If less, they might need some hand warmers on the sides of box to keep warm during shipping. You can ship them at almost all times and they will be fine. Adviseable NOT to ship when there is temps under 10-20 degrees outside. 15 chicks they can handle 30 degrees in shipping without too much problems. If you dont know for sure, order all males packing peanuts to help the pullets thru.

In most cases, they will be fine! I would have done the same if I need some layers in the spring so I order chicks now until Dec to get them going.

Go for it!

5. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Thats what I was hoping...now that I got the thumbs up I just need to decide what I want!

6. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I thought about trying my hand at raising baby chicks this winter, but all of the hatcheries seem to be out until next year...[​IMG]

7. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    some of the ones I looked at still have a limited available. So I'm hoping to get what I want/need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by