Shipping Peachicks? How????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by JordanFamily, May 15, 2010.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    I have a freind that offered me 6 India Blue peachicks and I was wondering if you can ship them like chickens??? I've shipped chicks before at a week old via express mail and was wondering how peachicks do being shipped that way at that young of age this time of year??? She offered me all 6 that she has for $15 each and I was thinking I might be able to keep half and sell the other half to make my money back on them... What do you guys think??? Are peachicks more fragile then chicken chicks? And do you think I might be able to make my money back on them??? Thanks

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Peachicks are a lot like Turkey poults you more or less treat them the same way, We do not ship day old peachicks it will be around the end of Sept or Oct before we will ship chicks, but we live in Oklahoma and the heat and humidity is pretty tough on these little guys so we let it cool down before we start shipping.

Steve

3. GardienneWings

GardienneWings Chillin' With My Peeps

We also don't ship chicks until they are 4-6 weeks old. Even at that I don't ship to anywhere they won't get to overnight, won't ship if the temps are over 75 anywhere along the way, use a bigger than baby chick size box, and I include grow-gel and apple pieces in the box and pray they make it. They are, like Steve said, like turkeys and therefore more fragile than chickens.
    Val

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by