Shipping Peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SDpeafowl, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    I have never shipped peafowl before and will hopeullly be shipping my first here in a few weeks. Can somebody explain to me how the process works and what I need to do for a safe arrival. Also is there a box big enough for 3 six month chicks?
    Thanks

2. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    SD

Just shipped some this week. Secure an approved poultry mailing box, this is 25-35 dollars. You won't need to go with a box too big, and if you check box sellers they usually list pounds they hold and dimensions. www.hm-e.net/ is one company that sells boxes. Have your NPIP paperwork attached outside of the box in case they require it (and sometimes they do). Place some light bedding in the box and add an orange that has been peeled. Check with your PO to make sure they accept live animals there. You may have to go to a different PO if it is a small office. Take the birds early in the morning on a monday or tuesday to ship. Make sure temperatures are not to low, PO's sometimes won't ship birds is too hot or cold weather. Make sure the birds had access to food and water before boxing up, then off to the post office. Good luck.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] if shipping greens or high % spalding watch the cold.....but the big problem is being to hot.

4. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

SDpeafowl, can you tell me how big one of these 6 month old peas is....

going to lookk at some later and was wondering about size, to be sure their in normal ranges...

5. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    Mine are almost full grown size. Little bit smaller than a full grown female. Hope that helps.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
  7. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    When we ship it is usually more than two birds.
    Shipping is expensive and a extra pea or two does not increase the price by much.

We use the New Horizon's swan size box. This is the biggest box made for shipping birds that is approved by the USPS and the airlines.

If you have Delta airlines close I would consider it as opposed to shipping Express with USPS.
    Not any more money and they arrive the same day you ship. The postal service often takes TWO days for delivery. That is a long time.

We also add a head of lettuce that has been soaked in water for for several hours or overnight. Let it drain a little because it does absorb a lot of water. Then place it in the box with a few cut up oranges. If it is same day delivery we don't worry as much. But two days is a long time with no hydration.

Always print a large notice (sign) on box VERY FRAGILE LIVE BIRDS INSIDE.

Good luck shipping your peas.

Addition, (just now read my post and forgot) which the other posters covered regarding some pine shavings or bedding about 2" thick in the bottom of the box.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by