shipping poultry

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lilly6849, Feb 13, 2012.

1. lilly6849

lilly6849 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    Im thinking of ordering one Dutch bantam chick from Ideal poultry,but I have to be sure my chick will arrive safely so If you have ever had poultry shiped cross country to you please reply and tell me about your experiance

2. Country Chick

Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Gibsonia, PA
    I have not had any problems with shipping or receiving chickens. I have shipped about 40 birds through out the US. Only 3 times did they not arrive when guaranteed, so I got refunded, but the chickens arrived safe & sound. I have shipped more than I have received. But again no problems.

I place a little bit of straw in the box, with either a slice of an apple or an orange. I purchase my shipping boxes from Belle Farm, in NC.

Become friends with the post office! They now bring them to me instead of me picking them up.

Good Luck!

3. lilly6849

Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks for your help!what kind of chicken is that in your avatar photo?its really pretty

4. Country Chick

Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Gibsonia, PA
    Thank you! I agree with you! He is an EE Cockerel, he will be a year old the end of next month!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can't order just one chick and have it arrive safely. There are minimums and it's pretty cold this time of year.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think the chances of one solitary bantam chick surviving shipping are not so good. Shipping is harder on bantams to begin with and chicks are normally shipped in large numbers.

I suggest that you find someone local to you so you can drive and pick up your chick.

7. lilly6849

Jan 18, 2012
    What about 2 chicks?Im really desprate to get this one breed,im not getting just any chicken

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Well, first of all NO hatchery will ship a single chick. There are some that will ship small quantities but it will come with a large shipping fee.

You do realize none of the bantams are sexed? So even if you could get one chick it could be a cockerel. So why not get several Dutch chicks and select the ones you want to keep. That way you'd also have extras in case of losses.

Only other alternative is to find a local breeder, and even then I would strongly suggest getting more than one chick. They need other chicks for company and warmth.

9. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    I was looking for some rare breeds, Black Copper Marans and Wellsumers, as well as some EEs, and found only a couple hatcheries able to supply all three(I can get EEs from the local feed store, but not the chocolate layers). But the delivery date was in September. I had to give up my Marans. I only want two, maybe three more hens added to my small flock this spring, but I understand there may be some fatalities in shipping, and even in rearing them, and of course sexing is never 100% accurate. So I ordered 4 wellsummers and two EEs. I happen to be friends with someone who runs a small egg co-op in the hills nearby, and I know I can give her any hens I don't want to keep. I did this last year too, when I bought 8 chicks from the feed store, knowing I only wanted 4. One died, one was a roo, and we gave her two other hens who either weren't the breed we were told they were or were less than friendly. It's a good system, I get to pick the hens I want, and she gets some free layers for her flock, already reared and laying. I even sent her my aggressive cannibal hen who was trying to eat my sweet little RIR alive.
    The cost is a bit more for me this way, but I am ok with that if I can get the breeds I want. I also went with a hatchery that is willing to ship small numbers of chicks, even though there is a rather nasty shipping cost. It came out to about ten bucks per chick, but for pet birds I thought this was ok. I'm not a breeder, and I'm not selling eggs. For my small flock of pet hens, that's not too bad.
    It's a trade off, getting exactly what you want(when what you want is a rare breed) vs cheep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by