Shipping problem help please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kkowa, Jul 23, 2013.

1. kkowa

kkowa Songster

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I shipped out one of my hens yesterday and they said she would be there by 3pm today! but yet she is still in MN what should we do we have called looking for answers but no one knows anything about her! when do I go into the post office and request a refund????? or can I not? what can I do to find out where she is ive tried tracking her she was shipped with a whole tomato along with scratch so is there a chance that she will die of dehydration or anything? any info would be great!

2. Where is she supposed to be at? Is it possible the buyer can drive to get her?
    MAKE A FUSS. The post office will ignore you until you make a scene. See if you can call people in MN to check on her and even give her water. It's against the rules to have workers do that, but some are kind to break the rules for the sake of an Animal, but don't count on it.
    I would demand a refund if I were you, but I believe it says in the small writing that the over night express is not guaranteed.
    If the package can't be shipped to the location, then they will send it back to you, alive or not.

3. kkowa

kkowa Songster

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    She was to go to MI and we have both been calling this is the lady's first show bird and ive been helping her a lot with show info ect. we both want her to get there safe when is the earliest I can get a refund because it does say guarantee shipping or refund on my slip

4. I don't know, sorry.
    I hope you and your bird best of luck. She may end up there tomorrow, a bit hungry and dehydrated but in good shape

5. keesmom

keesmom Crowing 10 Years

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    While baby poultry stays in USPS hands throughout shipping, that is usually not the case with adults sent via Express mail. Another carrier handles most of the shipping. FedEx picks up the birds from the origin USPS sorting facility and delivers it to the destination sorting facility. While the birds are in FedEx hands the USPS will not be able to locate them. If you call FedEx they won't be able to locate them either since you are not given one of their tracking numbers. Oh, and USPS doesn't always accurately update their site. Just because the site says she's still in MN that probably isn't accurate.

Unfortunately it's just a waiting game. She probably got bumped off a flight because of dry ice. I would expect the bird will be at the lady's local PO this morning. FedEx isn't supposed to bump live shipments on Mon-Wed flights but I've found they have been. I had 2 pullets going from Boston to Philly that arrived at the same time as a shipment of birds going from Boston to Seattle. Because of a couple of bad experiences last fall I will no longer ship birds.

You may also not get a refund for the late delivery. There is a mention on the USPS website that they have up to 3 days to deliver live birds, even if you send them Express. That's because they have no control over how/when FedEx sends them.

6. kkowa

kkowa Songster

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    she arrived! safe and sound but broody lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: