Shipping question for those who ship chickens...

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
I know that each state has regulations about bringing livestock into the state. For those of you who ship chickens, do you check the state's requirement and get the health certificates, etc. for those that require it?

It seems like shipping via the Post Office, they just go from one post office to another and get picked up. Is there someone checking to see that the regulations are met?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of anyone getting papers for shipping chics the local man down the road just has to buy those shipping boxes and takes them to the PO

Virginia is strict about birds and eggs being shipped into the Commonwealth.

Here's the website with the rules and regulations for each State.

I know that each state has it's regulations and some are stricter than others...some have no regulations.

I guess my question is this:

For those of you who ship adult chickens...do you abide by the state requirements with a vet certificate, NPIP, etc?

If you don't want to post here, please PM me. I understand this could be seen as a sensitive matter...

I have to decide whether to take my cochins off Eggbid. I am not NPIP, although we have started the process.

I do not send any paperwork with the birds when I ship them that people can access. If the person that bought the birds tells me they need NPIP papers, then I do include them in an envelope, taped tot he inside of the box. I have shipped to lots of states and have not had a problem yet. I have a bigger problem with areas that the express will ship to, some places cannot get Lives from Denver airport so I cannot ship there, you can check out yours on the USPS website under Lives. It would actually be Fed Ex doing the flights. For example, I cannot ship to Utah (most places).

I cannot however, ship birds to places if the person requires a health certificate, I know Washington State was or is doing that, my vets around here will not give a health certificate. That being said, I have never heard about a inspector being at the post office to regulate paperwork on incoming lives. I leave it up to the person receiving to check their state law requirements first before bidding. I have one lady from Illinois interested in my silkies on Eggbid, and she was told she needed a health certificate. However, when I chcked on various places regarding that, I saw it listed that she needed one for Exotic animals and birds, (meaning from another country) but not here. It also stated that NPIP papers were acceptable for the US birds. Most places will accept NPIP papers in Leu of Health certificates.

I called the USPS Express phone number. The lady that I spoke with said that most restrictions by FedEx have been lifted...like temperature requirements, etc. (not that I would EVER ship a bird with temps over 85 degrees!!). All I have to do is take them in the appropriate box to my local main PO.

That sounds waaaaay too easy...I'm quite skeptical.

All eggs, chicks and started birds that leave my property get NPIP paperwork.

WA requires only NPIP paperwork for incoming eggs, chicks and birds.

There is no one to monitor shipments of poultry into States. The USPS is not going to do it because it is not their job and the individual States usually do not have the man power to do it either.

The way a person gets caught is when they are NPIP certified and the State Vet or Tech comes out to renew and do yearly blood draws and notices new birds. You are supposed to have your NPIP certification papers available for them to inspect.

Back
Top Bottom