1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

shipping question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dustponds10, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. dustponds10

    dustponds10 Songster

    346
    8
    141
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, I bought a trio of 1 year old chickens and they were shipped 2nd day. The post office told me that they wont be here until tomarrow which is going to be day 3 is there going to be a problem? I hope not being I have waited a while to find teh birds that I ordered. It would be a huge loss. Anyways let me know what you think and what you experiences have been. Thank you all.
     
  2. Smoky73

    Smoky73 Lyon Master 11 Years

    1,618
    12
    194
    Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Even Express Mail is no longer guaranteed overnight, it is a three day roughly, my friend works at the PO, used to be 2 day but they extended it to 3. Most breeders will put fresh fruit in the box with the birds to keep them hydrated. I go the extreme and zip tie a glad ware container to the inside and fill it up with melon and feed and spread feed all over the bottom of the box int he shavings. I still lose birds I have shipped because the boxes that they get shipped in nowa re required to have air filters over the holes. To me, thats like wearing a dusk mask to clean the coop, yeah, it keeps the crap out of your lungs but makes it dang hard to breathe. I been tearing off half the filters. I know I am not supposed to but I am tired of dead birds!
     
  3. dustponds10

    dustponds10 Songster

    346
    8
    141
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well here is for hopeing I really hope that they are durable birds. I guess I will see later on tomarrow if they make it. I would think so but Ihope that they can last. I for sure appericate your information. I only hope they make it.
     
  4. Pequena Bandada

    Pequena Bandada Small Flock

    229
    0
    99
    Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:Sorry - that's not actually true. Express Mail is still overnight guaranteed to most locations (75% of delivery points). The other 25% are two day guaranteed - and the PO will tell you when you purchase Express if your delivery point is one or two days.

    The three day extension you're talking about was just for the two weeks surrounding Christmas this past year. Most deliveries were done on time, but the refund period (ie - the guarantee) was extended to two days for one day locations and three days for the two day locations.

    But it's all back to normal now, with Express guaranteed overnight to most locations. Thought I'd mention this in case it helps you or others decide how to ship eggs and/or chicks.

    (and yes - I work for the Postal Service.)
     
  5. dustponds10

    dustponds10 Songster

    346
    8
    141
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    So what are the chances of having these birds in good shape when they get to my place they have had a long trip.
     
  6. dustponds10

    dustponds10 Songster

    346
    8
    141
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Just so everyone is aware, I recieved my chickens early this morning and they apear to be doing awesome. Two of them are up and about and eating and drinking, but one is feeling a little sick I think. She just wanted to lay down and not drink anything and not even try to eat. I hope it is because she has jet lag and not because she is bound up. Anyways if any of you ever have to order full grown birds and they are 3 days because of a MISSHIP, if they were taken care of and in great shape they will do fine. Thanks for your responses and for all your help.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: