shipping questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dandydoodle, Oct 12, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Where can I get shipping boxes? What size would I need for 7 six week old bantam chicks?

2. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Walmart sells a few types of shipping boxes. I don't have any experience with shipping chicks, but I've heard that putting canned corn in

3. shelleen

Sep 27, 2011
    oops...technical difficulties while answering the phone...sorry

canned corn is supposed to help them survive shipping.
    Good Luck!!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Get them from a BYCer LOL! I get mine from Melonsmore in MO and he is great about shipping boxes.

As for shipping chicks, grapes and apples is the thing to ship them in and they don't smell as bad as melons or corn (which you can get them sick from eating corn that has been fermented in the box). Acclimate them before you ship them by feeding grapes and apples by slices so they know what to eat.

If they are more than a month old, you would need roughly a box for four chicks in one adult size Horizon box unless they are bantams.

I've shipped a few times and I've gotten shipped birds and never had a loss. Only one time a trio of SSHB from MI was re routed been on the road for five days but they all made it just fine. Always put enough grapes and apples in there even it may be only for two days.

5. shelleen

Sep 27, 2011
    Good to know. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by