shipping safety

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nipper75, Mar 15, 2011.

1. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    has anyone ordered a small batch of chicks? i'm expecting 6 chicks on april 11th and paid xtra for heating pads. now i'm wordering if that's good enough???? i'm starting to get worried.... [​IMG]

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Yes, I ordered 6 chicks who are now 2 1/2 weeks old. I live across the country from where they were shipped (My Pet Chicken). I was worried about them as well because we still had snow at that time. They were all healthy when they arrived and the heating packets were still warm. They had put grow gel in with them as well. The post office distribution center called me as soon as they arrived. I have another order of 12 coming next week. The wait is the most difficult part of raising chicks, so try not to worry! Good luck with your new little ones. [​IMG] They will be here before you know it!

3. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

My 8 chicks are in route as we speak, I'll let you know how they all turn out!

4. nipper75

nipper75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    NorthEast PA
    Thanks for the feedback and calming me down a bit. Please let me know how it all turns out!

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    They will be tired and thirsty when they arrive. I turned on my brooder light when I left to pick them up. I made sure that every chick drank water by dipping their beaks into it. Then I left them alone for a while because most of them crashed under the light. [​IMG] I checked for pasty butt the first couple of days and some did have poop stuck around their vent, but not blocking it. I did not give them sugar water the first day, but added less than 1/4 tsp of electrolytes to their quart of water. They never did look or act like they were ill (other than when they were asleep. My husband kept poking them because he was sure they were dead). [​IMG] They are all doing great and I can't believe the amount of time I spend watching them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by