1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping Serama eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BoiseBubba, Feb 28, 2009.

1. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    I have Seramas that lay 5 eggs on a daily basis and would like to ship the eggs but don't know how and if they would be any good after shipping? Also I would like to know on what what days the eggs would need to be shipped

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Have you tested fertility at home? If they're fertile there they should be fertile after shipping. Given the PO doesn't handle them too roughly or x-ray them. As far as what's the best way. I bubble wrap mine then put them in cartons and surround the carton with shredded paper. So far I've haven't had any problems with this method.

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Serama eggs are very sensitive to shipping. Lower your expectations, I spent lots of money for shipped Serama eggs in the past . They were all from top breeders, hatching rate close to 0.

Wish you all good luck you'll need with Serama eggs.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I had serama eggs shipped to me from Tn to MN. The bid was for 6+ eggs but they sent 10. Packing was excellent each egg was individually double wrapped in bubble wrap. I dropped one egg unwrapping it leaving me with 9, out of those 9, 7 chicks hatched. I think it has alot to do with the outside temps, packing, and how the PO handles them. To be honest i didn't expect that many to make it but was pleasantly surprised with the outcome [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Serama eggs are very sensitive to shipping. Lower your expectations, I spent lots of money for shipped Serama eggs in the past . They were all from top breeders, hatching rate close to 0.

Wish you all good luck you'll need with Serama eggs.

You are scareing me. I just put eight serama eggs in the bator this morning.

6. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I don't think any particular egg is more sensitive than others when it comes to shipping, seramas seem to have developed a 'superiority' complex because they are new to the USA and 'small' birds.

I just hatched out serama eggs shipped, I never incubated eggs before, I used a hova 1620N (not the 'best' bator)

Hatching eggs is not rocket science [​IMG] all you need is some fertile eggs, a functioning bator, even temperatures and humidity, patience and observation.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:and duck tape to tape the bator shut

8. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Quote:They are FERTILE for sure, I have 7 roos to 13 hens,which is WAY more than enough and let me say this, the roos are always, ah, "lovin" the hens, so pretty dang sure their fertile.

9. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I swear I am going to have to blindfold and handcuff hatchers and lock them in a room for 21 days.

Quote:and duck tape to tape the bator shut

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Have a turner and don't touch the eggs till day 18, its the fumbling with them in early development the kills them, that were the are touchey, I got 12 shipped serama eggs and hatched 10 out of 12, the 2 that didnt hatch were clears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by