Shipping temps?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alecia123058, Nov 18, 2009.

1. alecia123058

alecia123058 New Egg

Sep 10, 2009
    I was just wondering. What temps are too cold for shipping hatching eggs?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I used to think 32F but last spring I forgot and left some eggs outside all night and it was in the upper 20's. I just knew the eggs would be frozen so I was going to feed them back to the birds. I broke 2 against a tree and they weren't frozen. I took the others inside and cracked them open and they weren't frozen either. I think because the egg is thicker it has to be colder for them to freeze. I would say above 30F and you should be ok, that's when we stop shipping ourselves

Steve in NC

3. alecia123058

alecia123058 New Egg

Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for the info. That gives me the green light to buy more eggs from the auction!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Takes awhile and temps well below 32F to freeze an egg and so long as they don't get frozen they have good odds of still hatching. I hatched some last winter out of my coop when it was in the negatives. Shipping in cold weather is usually not a problem except really cold climates as we get farther into winter. Hot weather is a much bigger problem when shipping eggs. I don't order eggs in the middle of summer and I'm in a cooler climate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by