Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by katrinag, Apr 21, 2009.

1. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering if we can add a shiiping how to thread. Have members post what size box, materials and how they wrap the egg and pics. I thing it would be a good thing for the people who a scared to ship eggs.

If it is here somewhere I am sorry. Must of missed it.

2. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    I 2nd the idea, It could help people learn how to properly ship eggs. [​IMG]

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

There are a ton of great threads on the subject, but if someone wants to compile all the information into one thread or better yet, onto a BYC Page then we'll add it to the FAQ's.

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I just might have the time to take that task on Rob. I am on every day as I work at home. Could you tell me how you would like me to go about it please?
    thankx

5. Nifty-Chicken

Thanks!

I'd suggest using our search tools and try to find threads that talk about proper shipping methods.

Then you could create a new thread or a BYC page with a summary of the inforamation. This could be as simple as copy / paste the good information and then linking to the posts that had the info.

For example:

I am a rural postal carrier. Needless to say I can answer some of your questions. The flat rate boxes are free from usps.com. They will deliver them to your door for you. eggs are relatively light though, so it might be cheaper to send them in a normal box. If the box is marked fragile, fertilized eggs, etc. we will be extra careful with them. Believe me I have been. I even took the eggs to the door instead of leaving it in the parcel locker by the mailbox. I didn't know how hot you could get eggs and have them still be good. I figured they would be better off sitting in the shaded porch than a big metal box in the full July sun. I cannot stress bubble wrap enough. Boxes will get smashed acidentially and it is always best to pack properly to start. Last week I delivered a leaking box to someones home. They were not happy that their high end molasses was broken. It was sent without insurance or any packing material. Just placed in the box. In the senders defence it was an almost full box of glass jars. Even one layer of bubble wrap would have saved them. I do recomend getting insurance. It generally only costs a dollar or two more and this way you don't have to eat the cost of the eggs if they do get broken. With the isnurance the claiment is required to show that the item was well packed to begin with. Good luck with the shipping. Remember you can always go to or call your local P.O. with questions. They are hurting financially now and are trying to get and keep more shipping customers so will walk you through the process if need be.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1940473#p1940473

And here is a great thread with pics and info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2013058

6. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    OK gotcha!
    I will try to compress all good ideas into an easy to read format. As I also ship a lot (not eggs) I do know about the available free services/stuff out there using UPS or USPS so that's helpfull..LOL

OK, will get to work on it and slowly build it up!
    Maggie

7. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    One more suggestion. Call your local Post Office and find out what they recomend for shipping. Most if not all districts have one or two people just for answering these questions and they can get you in touch with them. I know one more thing to do.[​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Find Dipsy Doodle Doo's packing tutorial. It's the best. Just candled day 18. 15 of the 16 are growing!... and that's from South Carolina all the way to Arizona!

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nifty that is a good idea however there are a lot of people that do not look in the FAQ's area or the search.

Would it be better to add sticky thread to the top of the BST thread.

10. Nifty-Chicken

Sure, we'll probably add a link from the BST rules on each section. We try to keep the number of stickies in each section as small as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by