Shipping to Alaska????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenlynn4, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Does anyone know about shipping live birds to alaska? I will check with my express mail man to see if its even possible, but I was wonderring if anyone has any experience with actually doing it??? Thanks JEN

2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:In case you are unaware, there is a large hatchery located right in Alaska that does ship birds. I am assuming though you wanted to get birds from someone on the list.

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Actually someone in Alaska wants to get birds from me...I was not sure if the usps would take them that far as lives, but I will call today and find out. [​IMG] Thanks!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Might ask Leslie (in or at) the North Pole...she lives in Alaska and is on both sites...here and byc yuku....I know she gets shipped eggs not sure about birdies...

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Alaska is a state now & is served by the USPS. [​IMG]
    Seriously, it has more to do with airline routes than distance. Your local Postmaster should be able to provide you with a list of Zip Codes you can ship to from your location-mine did me.

6. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    It somewhat depends on where they are going in Alaska. If going to Anchorage it may be ok. If going anywhere else it could take a while and when they recieve them it could be too late. I have been living in Alaska for about the last 26 years and just moved down here to the lower 48 last summer. It takes a while to get the mail out to some places in Alaska and in most places the mail has to come in on airplanes (if there is room for it). Passengers and their luggage come first and there are often periods of bad weather where the airports are closed down for days at a time due to high winds, fog or snow/white out conditions and even rain.
    (Ever watch Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel?)
    It's kind of funny how people down here get all freaked out about 30-60 mile an hour winds and huricaine force winds and run for cover and such but I couldn't begin to tell you how many times we would get 150 to 160 mile a hour winds and life just went on, you gotta remember which way the wind is blowing before you open your car door if you want to keep it attatched to the car. [​IMG]
    Sometimes it would take 10 days to a month and a half to get mail from Seattle of all places up there. And don't ever pay for overnight shipping to Alaska because there is NO GARENTEE it will make it there overnight, BIG waste of money on that one.

Jayare

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    UPS will ship them up here ( thats how our feed store gets theirs)
    the post office will also ship them but they have to be deliverable within 72 hours of hatching and properly packaged.
    Copied this from the postal service web site.

Domestic Mail
    UPDATE

Temporary Embargo Lifted on Acceptance of Live Animals
    Effective November 14, 2001, the temporary embargo imposed on the acceptance and transport of live animals, including day-old poultry, on September 1, 2001, is lifted. (The article announcing the temporary embargo appeared in Postal Bulletin 22058, 9-6-01, page 31.)

Live animals may be tendered and accepted for mailing at local Post Offices provided that the contents of the shipping container can be visually inspected. However, large shippers and geographically isolated shippers should continue to contact their nearest airport mail center/facility to determine network availability, schedules, and capacity. We encourage all live animal shippers to deal directly with the airport mail center/facility that (1) streamlines the process by reducing staging time and (2) eliminates potential plan failures.

8. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Quote:In case you are unaware, there is a large hatchery located right in Alaska that does ship birds. I am assuming though you wanted to get birds from someone on the list.

OK i'll bite, what hatchery? who are they, where are they?

I'm always looking for new sources.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by