1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping to Texas?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by keithallen1965, Sep 2, 2009.

1. keithallen1965

keithallen1965 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    Can some one tell me what is the cost of shipping 1yr old birds to Texas. BCM's Also what are the requirments on the shipping ie box, papers also do they have to be certified birds. Thanks:cool:

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Okay, here I go. First, I would never recommend shipping chickens that age. Imagine being jammed in a box 2-7 days, minimal food at best, no water,(it spills), rough handling and no climate control. Not a real optimistic survival rate.

As far as health restrictions, I have no idea. Consult the TX state AG and Health depts.

Since you are already in Texas, I assume you are interested in having birds sent to you. Your seller should have all the box and shipping info. If not, you will have to research the UPS, USPS and any other shipping services available to Cleveland, TX.

Same things any other BYC member would have to research. You'd be better off driving to GA and back, and the birds would have a much better shot at surviving.

ETA, any birds you bring in should be quarantined for at least 30 days, before being near your other birds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    It would have to be shipped overnite. express mail in an aproved live bird box. www.boxesforbirds.com is a good source. they'll sell single boxes. with a grown bird weight the cost may be prohibitive. I think the post office can provide some idea based on weight & distance & requirements. check usps.com Yes I think they do have to be npip certified. good luck

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Yes as chicktwit said they would have to be shipped overnight, but sometimes they do take 2 days. In a USPS approved box, the source she provided is a great source for boxes, and horizons is also another source for boxes. Birds being shipped into Texas do have to have NPIP certification with them also. And its really not all that hard to do and not that bad on the birds I have done so several times. As long as your get the appropriate size box and provide plenty of fresh fruit and melons in the box with the bird. I also give the birds I am shipping electrolytes for several days before shipping day.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It cost me about $56 dollars to ship one rooster from Kansas to Pennsylvania....the heavier the box, the more it's going to cost.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    There are people in Texas with BCMs. Why don't you check the Texas thread under Traders?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by