Shipping USPS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Northwood Silkies, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    Can you ship chicks that are 1-2 weeks old through USPS?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, it's against the rules to ship other than day old chicks and adults, I believe. Not sure how old is the youngest, though, other than day olds. They can be in transit for days and won't make it if their yolk is already absorbed, which happens by about 3-4 days. Personally, I won't ship any live animal through the USPS. I empathize with them too closely, I guess.

3. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    I was thinking express overnight mail. I guess i will call and check with the post office.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Look on their website. I have found that most local USPS employees don't really know the regulations very well.

I LOVE my local folks, but I know the regs better than they do.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    After the 3 day rule they must each weigh 4 ounces and also be shipped express mail there is a sticky on the traders posts dealing with the older chicks it is under the 8+ week listings
    Are you NPIP? Can't ship legally if your not.

6. pfmoore17

pfmoore17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    I just received a USPS express package of wheatie chicks from Atlanta to SE CT. It left there @ 2PM on 6/9 and arrive at my house @ 11 AM the next day. All chicks alive and well. They ranged in age from day old to 3 days.

I find the Post Office personnel on my end to be fantastic, attentive and concerned about the chicks and eggs I have received. They always call me before putting them in a truck for delivery. The only issues I haver had with broken eggs is they were packed like crap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by